Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: We still doing this?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

Just wondering if we are going to post songs in 2009? Not many did in 2008 and not many comments on the songs that were posted. I am guilty as anyone.

Post subject: Re: We still doing this?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

We're still doing this, if everybody wants to. This is as good a place as any to weigh in. What do you all think? Want to keep doing this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm 

Yes. I need to hear others. I promise I will post a few more recordings this year. Maybe we should have one thread that you can post whatever you are working on, hymns, Irish, jazz, blues, etc.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes please! **beg, beg, grovel, grovel** \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
Yes. I need to hear others. I promise I will post a few more recordings this year. Maybe we should have one thread that you can post whatever you are working on, hymns, Irish, jazz, blues, etc.

Emphasis mine

Just over half the Psalms are laments i.e. blues! I bet King David played blues harp and flute.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:00 am 
Site Admin

The Praise Exchange has been great. I most likely won't be able to participate for a few months, and need to work out a few recording issues on this stupid laptop, but hope TPE continues. Most of my favorite music has come from this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 am 

Adrian wrote:
RonKiley wrote:

Emphasis mine

Just over half the Psalms are laments i.e. blues! I bet King David played blues harp and flute.

"He lifted me out of Muddy Waters." ;)

I wonder if David was familiar with the 1-4-5 chord pattern? :-k

Anyway, let's rock and roll! :sunny2:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm 

I would really like to find some blues or jazz music that would work on the whistle. And .. I would need the sheet music. Don't need a lot of halfholing but just the melody line would be great. I am getting there playing by ear but not there yet. Purrrrdy please ... if you know of any ... steer me to it. Not a big fan of Irish but I really dig jazz and blues music.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:

:laughing:

Blues kinda means you're going to have to put up with some half holing. It really is a different scale than your pennywhistle is.

HOWEVER...my praise team does Leaning On the Everlasting Arms completely accompanied by blues shuffle...those singers just keep on singing the regular scale, just like the pennywhistle scale, and it works and sounds like blues. So that one is one you could do. If it's not already one of our songs, we could make it one coming up, and make up the sheet music for it. Lemme check....

Oh, sounds like you all want to keep going, so let's--keep going. \:D/

New song tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 am 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
I would really like to find some blues or jazz music that would work on the whistle. And .. I would need the sheet music. Don't need a lot of halfholing but just the melody line would be great. I am getting there playing by ear but not there yet. Purrrrdy please ... if you know of any ... steer me to it. Not a big fan of Irish but I really dig jazz and blues music.

I've got a dulcimer tab book called "American Spirituals". A couple of tunes are listed as "Gospel shuffle" and one is almost whistle friendly as is. "I Got A Home In That Rock" just needs a low B substitute ... think a D kinda works. "I Will Trust in the Lord" would need re-written in a new key to be whistle-friendly, as would "Two Wings". Not exactly jazz or blues, but I can work on sheet music for them if you're interested, Jim. All three are fun to play ... on the dulcimer. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:20 am 

Judy K wrote:
Jim Wright wrote:

I've got a dulcimer tab book called "American Spirituals". A couple of tunes are listed as "Gospel shuffle" and one is almost whistle friendly as is. "I Got A Home In That Rock" just needs a low B substitute ... think a D kinda works. "I Will Trust in the Lord" would need re-written in a new key to be whistle-friendly, as would "Two Wings". Not exactly jazz or blues, but I can work on sheet music for them if you're interested, Jim. All three are fun to play ... on the dulcimer. :)

Sounds like a deal .... please do ... I need some new material!!! You got to send a midi or something so I will know how they are supposed to sound because I have never heard of any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 am 

Blues are easily do-able both on whistles and dulcimers.

If you play whistle, a D whistle works well in E blues. Try to sound like a lead guitarist.

If you play a mountain dulcimer, a DAd or DAA dulcimer works well in E blues. Try to sound like a rhythm and/or lead guitarist.

If you play hammered dulcimer, pad your hammers and try to sound like a bass player.

In all cases, keep it simple. 8)

(Stay tuned for my upcoming "whistle and dulcimer blues jam".) ;)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
We're still doing this, if everybody wants to. This is as good a place as any to weigh in. What do you all think? Want to keep doing this?

So long as it doesn't cause the moderators (or better said those that have to watch over the posting of the tunes and so on) too many headaches, I hope we'll keep doing this. There may be only a few posting tunes (just as there are relatively few who actively post on PWA in general), but to me it's still worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:01 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:

Blues kinda means you're going to have to put up with some half holing. It really is a different scale than your pennywhistle is.

HOWEVER...my praise team does Leaning On the Everlasting Arms completely accompanied by blues shuffle...those singers just keep on singing the regular scale, just like the pennywhistle scale, and it works and sounds like blues. So that one is one you could do. If it's not already one of our songs, we could make it one coming up, and make up the sheet music for it. Lemme check....

New song tomorrow.

Is it tomorrow yet? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:

New song tomorrow.

There's a song there, I think ....

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll post one, tomorrow... I'll post on the Praise Exchange" :mrgreen: :laughing:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
ConnieS wrote:
Ren-Tin-10 wrote:

New song tomorrow.

There's a song there, I think ....

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll post one, tomorrow... I'll post on the Praise Exchange" :mrgreen: :laughing:

I'm really not trying to rush you Connie... just so you know. 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 am 

Yes, yes, yes. Please let's continue. =D> I have NO ONE to play with, so I like to listen to the songs here and play along, if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm 

Ren-Tin-10 wrote:
Adrian wrote:
RonKiley wrote:

Emphasis mine

I wonder if David was familiar with the 1-4-5 chord pattern? :-k

I expect the chord pattern in many of his laments was Ima7-VIm7-IIm7-V7. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder...could the dancers do the grapevine to a 12-bar blues pattern?