Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whistle friendly Christian songs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:48 am 

khl wrote:
Jorg wrote:
My wife wants to do a song we've heard on a Fernando Ortega album. The song is called something like "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted"

Is it an old hymn? Have any of you heard it before? We can't find any info on it, but it's a moving song about the crucifixion.

Jorg

Try here: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/lea ... mitten.pdf
The above was found on this page: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns/s04.html
Looks like it's old, though I don't know the version Fernando Ortega sings.

What an absolutely great hymn! I have fallen in love with it and am getting ready to print out the sheet music. Can't wait to try it out on one of my guitars. Now, if only I could sing!!! :(

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:55 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Here are two more that I played on whistle with our praise band.
Shall We Gather at the River, and What a Fellowship What a joy Divine (Leaning on the Everlasting Arms). They always have to tell me to slow down when playing these. :lol:

Ah, I know those two from my childhood! Thanks Tommy, I'll start working on learning them by ear. Since last night I have worked out I'll Fly Away, also from my childhood.

I'm really enjoying finding out about all these songs that I didn't think worked on whistles before now.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Blessed Assurance is another one that that has a great refrain to play with it.

For variation with ''Come Thou Font of Every Blessing'', and a few others that don't go to high. If you play it three or four times, play once in the upper octave. Preferably the second or third time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 pm 

khl wrote:
Try here: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/lea ... mitten.pdf
The above was found on this page: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns/s04.html
Looks like it's old, though I don't know the version Fernando Ortega sings.

Thanks, Keith! So I wonder if this is an Indelible Grace arrangement?

Post subject: Re: What key for "How Great Thou Art"?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Also, how do you get How Great Thou Art into two octaves? Or if not, what whistle are you using to keep from going deaf?

Hi Connie,

I just found this old post of Mar. 11, 2006. I didn't look at all the posts to see if anyone answered your question, but, I have it in the key of Bb, starting on F and ending on B. The highest note is e, one time, on the very last "great". Play on a Bb whistle. :)

Lyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 am 

Over this past weekend I rediscovered a song. I'm not sure if it's gospel music or what. The song is "Farther Along" which has been recorded by many different country music artists. My favorite recording was by Johnny Cash until this past weekend when I saw Ricky Scaggs and The Whites doing it on tv. It is an ideal tune, at least I think it is, for the whistle!

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:14 pm 

larrym wrote:
Over this past weekend I rediscovered a song. I'm not sure if it's gospel music or what. The song is "Farther Along" which has been recorded by many different country music artists. My favorite recording was by Johnny Cash until this past weekend when I saw Ricky Scaggs and The Whites doing it on tv. It is an ideal tune, at least I think it is, for the whistle!

Larry

Yep, that's a good one, Larry. I learned it by ear for my whistles. It works great. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Farther Along like this?

Right-click to download

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:41 pm 

ConnieS wrote:
Farther Along like this?

Right-click to download

That's the one, Connie! Now I've got a version I like even better than the Ricky Scaggs one! Thanks!!!
:thumbsup: =D>

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

:oops:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 pm 

IrishLass wrote:
Wow, no one listed my FAVORITE:

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I play that one every time I take out my whistles. :)

Carolyn

It is one that I always play also. Another one I play a lot is ""Praise to the Lord'' played Majestically with movement. Based on Psalms 103, and 150.
I don't think I have seen ''Nearer my God to thee'', listed yet. I think this was played in the movie ''Titanic''? Several weeks ago I bought a CD at the department store ''Target''. It has twenty hymns in piano that are great to play along with on whistle, dulcimer, harp. Many of them are listed in this thread. It was on the CD display that you can touch buttons, and hear samples. The name of the CD is ''Amazing Grace'' classic hymns, by compass productions.

Hear is another one I play a lot.''He leadeth Me''

:wave:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting .... I revisited this thread just last week, Tommy. Nice list of songs here and well worth another read. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm 

Judy K wrote:
Interesting .... I revisited this thread just last week, Tommy. Nice list of songs here and well worth another read. :)

Hmmmm.... well it is good to keep up with the hymns we all know, for the international PWA gathering at the river. I have just returned from the site you mentioned on the first page. :thumbsup: http://www.hymnsite.com/ Found ''Praise to the Lord the Almighty'', ''It is well with my soul'', and several others I was looking for. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:39 am 

It has been in the nineties here for many weeks. Supposed to top a hundred in Houston today.
So I am thinking Christmas to cool off a little. Hmmmmm...... It's not working, but I did remember a great hymn with a nice refrain, and melody. The hymnal I have it in starts with the refrain. I bet you can play it from memory in the key of G.
''Go Tell it on the Mountain''

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm 

Kudos to you, Tommy, for reviving this thread, . . . and to everyone who contributed their favorites. I've compiled the list, and don't expect that I'll run out of tunes any time soon. There are a bunch of them that I'd forgotten.

I've got one to contribute. When I was a young punk we sang "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" pretty regularly at my extremely traditional church. Then I grew up and got married and never heard the song again 'til we were at camp with our youth group. Billy and Cindy Foote were leading worship that week, and taught us "The King of Love My Shepherd Is." I recognized the words but not the tune. Turns out that the Footes (Feet?) had written their own tune to go with the words from that venerable hymn. I like their interpretation. It's easy to play, and lends itself to all kinds of ornamentation and improvisation. So I ABCed it and here it is. I hope I got it right, cuz they perform it in B (I think) on the CD, and Billy sings the lead so it's about ten or twelve octaves lower than my whistle. (OK, maybe I exaggerate just a little.) Oh, and it can be played with or without the bridge.

-kevin

X:0
T:The King of Love My Shepherd Is
C:Classic Hymn: Henry W. Baker
C:New Tune: Billy & Cindy Foote
Z:Miniac for PWA 08/06/09
M:3/4
K:D
D2|:F4 A2|A4 F2|G4 A2|A4 E2|F4 A2|d4 c2|B2 A4-|A4 D2|
F4 A2|A4 F2|G4 A2|A4 E2|F4 A2|E4 F2|E2 D4-|[1D4 D2|[2D6:|
P:Bridge
A2|:f6-|f4 ed|d6|d c3 d2|E F5-|F6-|F6-|[1F4 A2|[2F4 D2:|

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:34 am 

Miniac wrote:
Kudos to you, Tommy, for reviving this thread,

And Thanks to Blackhawk for a good subject. :thumbsup:

I found several hymns I have been looking in the web site Judy gave us on page one.
However there are still a few more that I am looking for the sheet music.

In The Garden
Be Still My Soul
Down in The Valley to Pray
How Can I Keep From Singing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Tommy, "Be Still My Soul" was song #24 in the Praise Exchange. Connie posted a link to MarK's Whistle & Squeak for the music. It's the same tune as Finlandia. He also has "In The Garden" there. Do you need more than the melody line?

What was once called the CyberHymnal and is now called NetHymnal has "How Can I Keep From Singing", but you might need NoteWorthy Composer viewer to get the score. A dulcimer website, Jam 'N Folk has "Down In The valley To Pray". Click Tab/Music sheets, then book 001 to get an list of songs. It has basically a lead sheet with dulcimer tab entered like a verse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm 

One can also check http://www.hymntime.com/tch/ for the cyberhymnal. There was, evidently, some usurpation of the name and content.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

I like your link better, Jim. Thanks! It is the CyberHymnal. The other link leads to the content, but the home pages are much different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:56 pm 

You're welcome, Judy.

With a little digging, it looks like the previous service provider grabbed the Cyberhymnal domain, then took the content which the originator had developed - right down to the FAQs. That service provider later changed their site name to NetHymnal, but CyberHymnal.org still links to it. Personally, I like it better without all the advertisements.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 am 

Judy K wrote:
What was once called the CyberHymnal and is now called NetHymnal has "How Can I Keep From Singing", but you might need NoteWorthy Composer viewer to get the score.

Thank you Judy, and Jim. :thumbsup: I found three of them, \:D/ and several others that showed up.
I found the words for ''How Can I keep from singing"" but did not find the dots.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 am 
Site Admin

To get the dots, Tommy, you need a Noteworthy Composer viewer (a link should be somewhere on the CyberHymnal link Jim posted) and to click the "score" button. I'll check some books around here and see if we have it and let ya know.

I've had a hard time getting Firefox to recognize NWC so I've given up getting scores using it for the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:17 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
How about we make a list?
4: Wayfaring Stranger

Here is a bluegrass version, if a person wants to pick up the tempo a little. \:D/

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/blueg ... 004930.HTM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
To get the dots, Tommy, you need a Noteworthy Composer viewer (a link should be somewhere on the CyberHymnal link Jim posted) and to click the "score" button. I'll check some books around here and see if we have it and let ya know.

I've had a hard time getting Firefox to recognize NWC so I've given up getting scores using it for the moment.

try grabbing the plugin IE Tab and then just use that to open that page in a new tab with the IR rendering engine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
Judy K wrote:

try grabbing the plugin IE Tab and then just use that to open that page in a new tab with the IR rendering engine.

Ed, when Firefox updated once it indicated that the IE Tab was no longer compatible and removed it. I haven't been able to find it again on the plugins list. Do you have a link? I'd love to get that function back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

I just make sure to tell it not to remove it still works fine for me in the latest version. Just go too tools addons get addons and put it back :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next