Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Vista-compatible USB microphone? "Another Question"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Does any one know of any plug 'n play mikes that are Vista compatible?

I still haven't figured out how to get the MacMic, used on the XP laptop, to work on the Vista laptop. There hasn't been a lot of free time to work out the bugs .... but I wondered about just getting something else instead. A couple of possibilities are 1) forgetting the microphone and going with the Zoom H2 or 2) a Blue Snowball mike that keeps popping up in searches.

My problem is a complete lack of knowledge in this. Cardioid, omnidirectional, condenser?? Image If it doesn't simply plug in and work, I'm lost. Anyone have any advice? Please .... 8-[

Connie, didn't you get an H2? How has it worked for you?

Last edited by Judy K on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Vista-compatible USB microphone?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

The H2 works great, but it's independent of the computer. It does plug in and become a microphone for the computer, but I had problems doing that and I don't remember what they are.

Anyhow, so if I want play along with a track on the computer, I'll just use headphones playing what's on the computer while I record right into the H2. Then I move the file on the H2 over to the computer and lay it down into the project there.

It should work with Vista or anything if you use the H2 as a recorder by itself. It has a fantastic sound. I like it with wood 'n string instruments like your dulcimer and my guitar, because it picks up more of the music and less of the mechanical sounds--plunking wood, squeaky strings, etc.

When I get time I'll put up a sample or two if you want to hear them.

Judy, I hope this means you're getting ready to crawl out from under that mountain of tax forms and record us some stuff. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Connie. Knew that the H2 worked as a stand alone -- wasn't sure how well. I've been leaning towards an H2 because it had that capability.

Hope to record a couple of things for TPE as soon as the microphone issues are resolved. I've missed recording at least three songs there that have been in my favorites list.

Wish you had the opportunity to record more. I miss hearing your music, among others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

I think I might be catching the bug. Kind of been wanting to try my hand at a couple.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Hope that bug gets truly caught! Maybe as soon as school is out? :D

Yesterday, I bought the Zoom H2, plus a Samson condenser microphone at Best Buy. Haven't played with the H2 yet. The mike seems to work fairly well. It came with cakewalk. :shock: What is with all those buttons and doodads? Audacity is much simpler.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:13 am 

The Samson is a nice mike. I had one that worked great until I dropped it. I can't remember what I am using now and I am not at home where I can look at it. I am in Milford, Ohio until Tuesday. We have a baby here named after my wife We will be blessing her today in church.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject: Re: Vista-compatible USB microphone? (NEW QUESTION)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

:?

I need some help and can't figure out if it's an Audacity issue, a Vista issue or an HP laptop issue.

I bought the Samson microphone .... it is enabled on my laptop as the default mike when it's plugged in (USB plug). Audacity doesn't recognize it as the recording mike. It's not even listed in the available devices. I disabled all other microphones and hid them and still can't get the Samson to show up for Audacity. It just lists the built-in microphone as the recording device.

Anyone have a clue as to what I need to do or change? There is nothing on the Audacity Wiki that helps with this problem ... that I can find.

I've been using the Zoom H2 to record some things. It's interesting but doesn't work well if I want to add a track of flute into a dulcimer recording. I can't even imagine how to synchronize 2 separate tracks from the H2. Audacity was much simpler in that respect .... when it had a microphone .... :roll:

Post subject: Re: Vista-compatible USB microphone? "Another Question"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Judy, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably record the dulcimer track first, then move it to the Audacity project, then add the flute track the same way. But then, I'm not in your shoes, and you may want to do something differently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure I have the patience for that, Connie. It would take a lot to match the two tracks. I'm seriously considering just going back to my old laptop (with XP) for recording and just stop wrestling with these stupid problems on the Vista laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Admin

It may not be as hard as you think to match the tracks. You can go into options in Audacity and change the way you zoom in and out on the tracks. I have mine set to use the arrow keys to zoom in. You can zoom in really close, and have a good visual of exactly where the beats are on the waveforms, and you can use just one beat to line them up. Then a quick zippy zoom out with the arrow keys, and click play and try it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
a quick zippy zoom

That's the technical term Judy ... just so you know :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

:oops: Sorry--I know I should hold back on that technical jargon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Judy have you tried using the H2 as a mic and recording in Audacity?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Haven't tried that, jrc. It's a possibility to explore. A problem I've had with the H2 is the sound quality after the track has been through Audacity. There's usually a 'wobble' (another technical term? ;)). Here's an example of a song recorded on H2 then over to Audacity for a little bit of editing: What Wondrous Love Is This?. The strange sound/wobble of this is why I never posted it in TPE ... and why I haven't recorded much since.

Would help if I could manage to play something through that didn't require a bit of editing ... but that is not gonna happen anytime soon! :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Judy, I'm having that problem with everything that comes out of the latest version of Audacity. Try running a clean mp3--anything--through Audacity and see if it also wobbles.

I'm looking around for a free mp3 converter. Then the idea is to create in Audacity, render the project as a WAV file, then take it to the other program and convert to mp3. If I find a good, simple converter, I can let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

I use Audacity all the time - for mp3 and wav files. And I thought Judy's recording sounded fine, I really enjoyed it. I didn't notice a wobble, but I am really not familiar with dulcimers either so it's very possible I missed something subtle. I thought it was fine, both playing and recording.

Can you give me a time in the recording so I can reference exactly what you're talking about? Or is it consistent throughout?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

It's subtle, but it's the same sound that's been giving me fits. Probably sounds like vibrato to you, Jim.

And, Judy, for the record.......that is REALLY beautiful, wobble or not, and it's a loss if we don't get to enjoy it. [-( ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Connie, I hate that you are having the same problem, but it's nice to know I'm not alone! One other problem I have with the new version of Audacity is volume. Did a recording of The King of Love ... can't seem to adjust or normalize the volume at all. Tried 3 times -- it stays a quiet recording, even though it is set at where I set all the recordings. It's been disheartening. Vista laptop, new Audacity .... the combination is a real pain!

Jim, the first 10 seconds of the recording grates so much on my nerves my ears turn off. I did listen again and another particularly irritating spot hits around 1:24. This was played on a baritone dulcimer. It seems to affect the lower notes more.

:-k Could call it a 'vibrato' and pretend it's intentional ..... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 pm 

From one who has barely looked at Audacity - would an earlier version still work with Vista and eliminate the wobble?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

:-k

I tried to bring Audacity over from my old computer to the new one when transferring files, Jim (of the northern Jims), and it wouldn't work without downloading Audacity again. I probably did something wrong because I'm not very computer literate. The best solution (probably) is to use the old computer, which still works, for recording. I just hate having 2 computers set up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:49 pm 

couldn't find out about system requirements for the versions, but did find this page - looks like you can get almost any version. http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/files/
If you need further assist from here, I'm sure that I (or, even better, some techno-whiz member) would be able to provide it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Worth a shot, Jim. Thanks for the link. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Admin

I've wondered if maybe the current Audacity version was buggy. Waiting for a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Admin

could be I'm stubborn, but I blame Vista. I use Audacity and XP Pro - no worries. But I don't record with Audacity. I just use it to consolidate mono files to stereo, and convert to mp3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry--I'm having problems in XP. :?