Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: My Low D Friends
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm 

Come to Hawaii. I'll let you play any and all of them.

L to R: Susato, Dixon, Howard, Reviol, Burke Composite, Hammy Hamilton, Fatty, Burke Al, Reyburn, Resonance

Post subject: Re: My Low D Friends
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Nice!!!!! Which is your favorite?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm 

jrc wrote:
Nice!!!!! Which is your favorite?

I was wondering that myself. They each have a distinct sound and I'd chose one over the other depending on the tune, the occasion, etc.
Top 4 ranked closely together, but roughly in this order:
Reviol
Reyburn -- Resonance -- Burke Composite (Three way tie for second)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 am 

I'm currently looking for an all purpose low D. Maybe you could answer a couple questions for me, since you have played a few of the ones I'm considering. I play mostly airs and praise and worship music on whistle. I have small to medium hands for a man. I recently sold my Howard because for my hands it was just a monster. The holes were too far apart and too large to cover quickly with a piper's grip. Right now I have a Dixon and a Shaw. Mostly I play the Shaw just because it fingers so easily.

Which of your whistles is the easiest to finger?

What about the Reviol do you like? How do the Dixon and Reviol compare to each other?

Thanks for taking time to answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 am 

WOW :shock: That's quite a collection. I don't think I have seen so many quality low D whistles in one picture before. I'd love to try them all, apart from the Burke which I already have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:
WOW :shock: That's quite a collection. I don't think I have seen so many quality low D whistles in one picture before. I love to try them all, apart from the Burke which I already have.

Definitely ... and it wouldn't hurt that you had to go to Hawaii to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm 

What no Overton? That is a nice group of low Ds.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm 

Scott wrote:
Which of your whistles is the easiest to finger?

What about the Reviol do you like? How do the Dixon and Reviol compare to each other?

The Dixon and the Sweetheart Resonance both have small holes in comparison and are probably the easiest to finger. Burkes have a twistable bottom so the last hole can be turned to help with smaller hands. The Reyburn can be ordered to come with off-set holes.

The Reviol is a bit more like the Howard whistle as far as size of holes and distance.

I'll try to get a clip up to show the sounds of the Dixon and the Reviol in comparison. I like the Reviol sound better, but I'm keeping the Dixon because of it's portability. Plastic, easy to pack in a suitcase or carry to an outdoor gathering (say near the beach) with little worry of damaging it, loosing it. The Reviol is rich, strong, slightly breathy on slow airs, and has an enjoyable force with faster traditional Irish tunes.

Actually, here's a clip from a few years ago of the Dixon: http://c1.ezfolk.com/index.php?t=player ... ng_id=9383

Here's a clip of the Reviol (but with the Low C body--also a few years ago): http://c1.ezfolk.com/index.php?t=player ... g_id=17250

I'll still try to record something more for later. It would do me good to record something, plus you could hear the Low D Reviol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:19 pm 

RonKiley wrote:
What no Overton?

I had an Overton for a short time. Traded it--I think for the delrin Abell high D. Between the Reviol (especially this), the Lochlan Fatty, and the Hammy Hamilton I feel like I've sort of got the Overton sound covered for the Low D. (The low F is another story. ;) )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:10 pm 

Today's playing. Same tunes for both, without much embellishment--warts and all. No reverb, only added a little volume.

Dixon:
Attachment:
Dixon Clip.mp3

Reviol:
Attachment:
Reviol Clip.mp3

I like both whistles. For me, the Reviol is a little more satisfying to play and hear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 am 

I liked them both. It's hard to say which I preferred though. Thanks for the clips.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:42 am 

Yes, it is hard to decide which is better, but I think the Reviol has a bit more resonance to it. Thanks for taking the time to post clips of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

I remember the Reviol from some of your other recordings ... sweet whistle!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 pm 

That is a nice whistle line-up khl.

I just got some low whistles from ethnic wind because I could order them with offset holes. I have really small hands with it seems even smaller finger pads so I was struggling with the low whistle challenges even though I am using pipers grip.
I got a low D ceol pro, low F ceol pro and a low G ceol pro of what he would call the F and G "mid whistles"
I find the low D has been hard to get used to for me because it seem to have big gap between low and high air pressure but maybe that is true with all low D's. They also seem to take a deceptively high amount of air to me. As far as the low D and F though I have not put a lot of time in on them and find that of course the more I play them the easier they are to manage.
I really am enjoying the mid G though. It is a whistle that I use a lot in playing on the worship team and I got it to replace the Susato low G I had. It had two keys on it and it so as far as that went I hated it. It interfered with my playing so I wanted it gone fast. The Ethic wind whistles to me seem pretty breathy in sound and are not really loud but I think they sound better than the low Susatos that do seem a little too harsh for me. The next Ethnicwind whistle I plan to order will be a mid A. I am trying to go all one style/make of whistle to hopefully get more consistency for my poor whistle shuffling brain!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 pm 

rosehebrew wrote:
That is a nice whistle line-up khl.

The next Ethnicwind whistle I plan to order will be a mid A. I am trying to go all one style/make of whistle to hopefully get more consistency for my poor whistle shuffling brain!

You might consider saving your money and buying a Burke (composite) mid A. (And having said that I now see that you want one style/make. So never mind, except you really would like the Burke composite A. It's beautiful, light, complex in tone, plays easily and sweetly, very in tune.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm 

If you have small hands I suggest the Walt Sweet Onyx low D. I bought one a few weeks ago and sold all my other low D's. It is by far the best low D I've played, offset holes, hole size is small, conical bore and decent breath requirement and loads of volume. It is expensive, but I think it's worth it. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

Thanks for the 2 cents, now I just need $299.98 + shipping!

I looked on whistle and drum and heard Blayne Chastain play the Onyx. Very nice but not quite as breathy as I am used to. Thanks for the tip. It would be a good whistle though I think if it were not way above my pay grade which right now is zero.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

I have a Burke aluminum A. It's excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 pm 

KittyR wrote:
I have a Burke aluminum A. It's excellent.

kitty, I have never played a Burke whistle. I wish I had other whistle players in the area so we could check out each others whistles. That would be fun. Nobody where I live even know what they are when I play with the band. They either call it a flute...acceptable to me, or a "flutifphone" that one is odd, or a recorder or the strangest of all, a Kazoo (I tried to not be offended by that but it was a stretch. I just nod and say "Thanks, glad you enjoyed it" and let them call it anything they want unless they ask specifically. I was stumped though awhile back when someone remarked on the recorder parts when they said the played recorder, oh and I almost forgot the lady that asked at the last potluck if I played any "real" instruments. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm 

rosehebrew wrote:
They either call it a flute...acceptable to me, or a "flutifphone" that one is odd, ...

This (or something very similar) was our starting instrument in the public school which I attended long ago ... http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-400-Flutophone-White/dp/B0002F5HVA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 pm 

We had those in either 2nd or 3rd grade!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:52 pm 

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me. I was stumped where she came up with the "flutophone" thing. Ha now I know it wasn't completely out of the blue! :oops: