Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: PWA Christmas Album 2010
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 am 

There's a chill in the air. Break out the hot chocolate and your instruments, because it's time for:

PWA Christmas Album 2010

It will work the same way this year as it did last year. Record a Christmas song, post it to your favorite site, and post a link to it here. However, this time I will copy your links and edit this message with them so you can have "one-stop shopping".

Happy recording!

Cheers,
Jim

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject: Re: PWA Christmas Album 2010
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 am 
Site Admin

This is a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time mountain dulcimer rendition of the "Christ Child Lullaby". I plan to re-do this if possible in a couple of days. However, I hate to see December passing so quickly with NOTHING posted in the 2010 Christmas thread.

Christ Child Lullaby

12/8/2010

Adding a couple more songs. (Remember ... I don't claim to be a musician and do plan on keeping the day job. ;) )

"On this Day Earth Shall Ring" is also known as "Personent Hodie". The tab & backup track is from Larry Conger (with his permission to use the track like this) and his "Tune of The Month" lessons. Harmonics are not my friend, particularly on the bass string.

On This Day Earth Shall Ring

"Lark in the Clear Air" qualifies as a Christmas song only because of Connie's "See The Star" carol she wrote last year using (almost)* this tune. *I took the classical way of playing (part A, part B) in my version; Connie took the Celtic way of AABB. This was recorded last year, but not posted. Only posted it now to bring the Christmas album count to a whopping three. :shock: :(

Lark In The Clear Air

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 pm 

I really enjoy that dulcimer playing Judy! It's hard to resist the temptation to get one and give it a try, but for me this has been the year of the flute. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with Irish-style flute and hope to make that my main instrument. Yes, I've said that before. This time I'm serious. Now if they'd stop asking me to play guitar....
Last week in church we played a song that was new to me and the tune really stuck in my head. Our version was entitled "Angel Gabriel's Message". Noticing that it was based on a traditional basque carol, I found a much simpler arrangement online and had at it on the flute. I may have gone overboard with the harmonies, but I found that each one covered the others' mistakes nicely.

So here's the Traditional Basque Carol

Last edited by TC on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Admin

TC, I love the harmonic blends in your Traditional Basque Carol! You did NOT go overboard at all. Beautiful song.

Your flute and guitar would complement each other beautifully, too ..... hint, hint .... :mrgreen:

As a guitar player, your would probably find the dulcimer a piece of cake. I'd be glad to loan you one to try any time. My poor flute has to feel abandoned. Picked it up yesterday to play along with a Celtic Christmas CD. Did better than I deserve.