Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: iPad or Xoom?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm 

I am thinking of getting rid of my desk top PC. I want to replace it with a tablet PC for my use and my wife has an HP laptop. I don't need the desk top to record music because I have the H2. I have a wireless net here in the house which doesn't need the desktop. What tablet would you recommend and are there things I am overlooking in getting rid of the desktop?

Psalms 118:24

Post subject: Re: iPad or Xoom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, I've watched people get the tablet bug and go out and get one, and they do love them. So if you've got the tablet bug, and can afford it, go get one by all means.

That being said...

I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything yet in the way of tablet that would replace a laptop or desktop. Laptops have come to be a decent replacement, but I think it's just too early in the tablet business to see a real replacement. Memory, peripherals....I don't think they have a product in the current breed of tablets that you can put a DVD in to watch your movie--although I'm sure there's an app for Netflix.

The Tablet PC of a few years ago has been mostly replaced by these new flash drive little plastic models--a lot of fun, but not ready to play with the big dogs yet.

Maybe I'm missing something, here...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 pm 

I use my tower along with my VCR, television tuner card and my stereo as my home entertainment center, but I have been curious about the android tablet that my doctor had at our last gig. One these might be within my price range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:45 am 
Site Admin

I heard a guy on the radio doing an Android vs Iphone discussion. One thing he mentioned is that Android is open source and can run apps from basically anyone, while Apple... well ... just Apple. Opens up a lot more resources, or so he claimed. Makes sense, but I have no hands-on with either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

What you're saying about apps is true. However, I have to say, coming from the old Palm OS world, the Wild West of "Apps" (or whatever we called them back then), having only Apps approved by Apple on my iPod touch--everything's much more stable. Way fewer crashes, and still lots of free apps to keep me happy.

I don't want to lend the impression that I don't like tablets. Far from it. I'd like to save a chunk of change and get one myself. I'm just not sure it can replace a desktop just yet. I'd give them time to develop it a little before you throw your tower out the window (or whatever).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

I've had a few towers I'd have like to throw out a window even without getting a tablet. :laughing:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'd throw the tower I'm on right now, along with the DSL router that keeps knocking me off the internet (Tshhyah!!!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:43 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
I've had a few towers I'd have like to throw out a window even without getting a tablet. :laughing:

I have said that very thing - and my tower is next to a window ... very tempting sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm 

I am trying to declutter and make the room look larger. I have removed an HP printer and an HP scanner. My system is in an armoir that is about 5 feet high. I have several peripherals I no longer use. I have a smaller tower that the system would fit into quite nicely. I am cosidering replacing the armoir with a desk unit which would give me more wall space. The top of the unit has a bunch of whistles that just look messy. I like the touch interface of the tablets. When reading the scriptures in Sunday school class my Kindle is to hard to navigate. My wife can skip from chapter and verse to chapter and verse faster than I can with my Kindle or hard copy. However I don't think there is a laptop with quad core processor and 8 GBs of memory that I could afford. Hence the interest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:10 pm 

jrc wrote:
I heard a guy on the radio doing an Android vs Iphone discussion. One thing he mentioned is that Android is open source and can run apps from basically anyone, while Apple... well ... just Apple. Opens up a lot more resources, or so he claimed. Makes sense, but I have no hands-on with either.
Neither do I, but I understand that the Android runs a free as in beer OS developed by google called Android, not free as in speech Linux.

I think it may have been hacked to run a linux OS or to run more apps, but I can't lay my hands on a link just now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:10 pm 

I have read some reviews that say that Droid 3.0 (Honey comb) is buggy and overly complicated. Sales are very slow. I did some hands on with the Xoom and the iPad today. I hate to admit it but I like the iPad best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, I just got emails from Office Depot & OfficeMax pushing a new Blackberry Playbook tablet, available April 19th. Don't know anything about it, but thought you want another possibility to research.

A tax client last night had an IPod and said he would be lost without it. Not the IPad, but a nice testimonial from a happy customer in the product downline ...