Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:22 am 

kelly wrote:
I'm starting to get discouraged.

Don't get discouraged! Just remain ready to learn...that's all. Add to your collection of airs gradually, as you add to your collection of songs, and always be ready to adapt your playing of one if you find that your understanding of it wasn't quite all there to begin with. If you like airs, it's worth the effort, no? I've spent the better part of the past two years not only listening to the best singers I can find, but also taking sean nós classes, and even studying Irish, all so I can really do these beautiful tunes justice. That doesn't mean I didn't play them and love them before...only that my air playing is continuing to improve as my understanding of the style grows. The same will happen with you.

The challenge, I think, with airs, is they seem so simple. Musically speaking, in many ways, they are. But as with much "simple" music, there's really a lot more to them than first meets the eye (or the ear)...just ask any chorister who has to learn to do plainsong correctly! You're not just learning tunes, you're learning a style...and that takes time. The ear has to be trained to the new style...you have to internalize it, and make it a part of you. You know, in Ireland, sean nós is considered an old person's art...not because only old people like it, but because it takes a lifetime to really grow into it. Airs are really just sean nós songs with the words removed...or, rather, hidden.

The answer isn't to get discouraged, or to stop playing airs, but to realize that there's a lot to learn...and that the learning is part of the pleasure. It's a fantastic, beautiful, rich journey. Some day you will play (or sing!) one of these tunes and look up to see tears in someone else's eyes...and that will make all the effort worth it!

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:41 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Judy K wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
... and there aren't many of us who really love the slow airs. On this Board, probably just you, Audrey and me, in fact.

Hey ... I like airs, too!

OK Judy, you can be a member of our club, too. :lol: We'll be the official PWA SAF (PWA Slow Air Fans). :mrgreen:

Put me down too Darvis. Every few months or so I play and air during the offering at our church. That is when we have music that is not with the litergy. I like playing without the PA system so they can hear the real tone of a whistle. The first one I played was ''Roisin Dubh''. The black dots came from http://www.tinwhistler.com . People I did not know before now speak to me by name. It is great to make a contribution besides being an usher. Playing airs without the words gives a person a few moments for reflexion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:15 pm 

Tommy wrote:

Put me down too Darvis. Every few months or so I play and air during the offering at our church. That is when we have music that is not with the litergy. I like playing without the PA system so they can hear the real tone of a whistle. The first one I played was ''Roisin Dubh''. The black dots came from http://www.tinwhistler.com . People I did not know before now speak to me by name. It is great to make a contribution besides being an usher. Playing airs without the words gives a person a few moments for reflexion.

You're so right, Tommy. I've always felt that way, too. What others have you played during the offering, after "Roisin Dubh," Tommy? What are some of your favorites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement, gang, I won't give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:11 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:

You're so right, Tommy. I've always felt that way, too. What others have you played during the offering, after "Roisin Dubh," Tommy? What are some of your favorites?

Rosin Dubh, Sliabh na mBan both are from http://www.tinwhistler.com I like his site because it is easy to find and hear the music. Taimse im Chodladh from ''Irland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes'' volume 1. I like this book with the cd's. I have played those three at least twice and on June 11 I will be adding one that I saw on your list from another thread ''Eanach Chuin''. So in a way you will be part of it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:30 pm 

Tommy wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Rosin Dubh, Sliabh na mBan both are from http://www.tinwhistler.com I like his site because it is easy to find and hear the music. Taimse im Chodladh from ''Irland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes'' volume 1. I like this book with the cd's. I have played those three at least twice and on June 11 I will be adding one that I saw on your list from another thread ''Eanach Chuin''. So in a way you will be part of it. 8)

That makes me feel good, Tommy. :)

Taimse im Choladh is Gaelic for "Do not wake me, I am sleeping." Paddy Maloney played it on his pipes at a ceremony in NY right after 9/11. I love it but haven't learned it yet. I've practiced it but don't have it down to memory yet.

I like your other choices, too, but haven't learned them yet, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:34 pm 

Actually, the Irish title simply means "I'm asleep" (it's an emphatic form, with emphasis on the "I"...as in "I'M sleeping, doggone it, why aren't you?"). "I'm sleeping and don't wake me" is the refrain: "Táimse im' chodhladh is ná dúistear mé."

Irish has the funniest way of expressing these things...if translated word for word, it would come out to "I'm in my sleeping." :mrgreen:

BTW, here's a good site for Irish lyrics. She generally includes a fair translation as well:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthen ... /ceol.html

Unfortunately, she doesn't have one for that one...well, she does, but the link goes to a story of hers rather than to the lyrics.

If you ever have one you can't find a translation for, let me know. It may take me a few days, but I enjoy translating lyrics...it's good practice.

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:37 pm 

This is a good lyrics site too:

http://www.geocities.com/celticlyricsco ... reland.htm

Redwolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:10 am 

Audrey wrote:

If you ever have one you can't find a translation for, let me know. It may take me a few days, but I enjoy translating lyrics...it's good practice.

Audrey

Audrey, I'd love to get a translation of Coinleach Ghlas An Fhomair. From what I understand, the title means "stubble fields of autumn," but I'd love to know what it's about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:11 am 

Audrey wrote:
This is a good lyrics site too:

http://www.geocities.com/celticlyricsco ... reland.htm

Redwolf

That's an excellent site, Audrey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Audrey

Audrey, I'd love to get a translation of Coinleach Ghlas An Fhomair. From what I understand, the title means "stubble fields of autumn," but I'd love to know what it's about.

Sure! Give me a few days to dig up the lyrics...I'm pretty sure I have them somewhere.

I can tell you that it's a love song from Ulster, and that the title does, indeed, mean "The green stubble fields of Autumn." It's pronounced "KUN-lakh ghlass un OH-wer" (the "kh" is a gutteral sound, like the "ch" in "Bach," and the "gh" is a similar sound, only voiced).

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am 

Actually, the translation here isn't bad:

http://www.jtwinc.com/clannad/scoinlea.htm

I want to take a look at it later and see if I can clear up the question marks (whoever translated it was unsure of his idioms in places, I think, which is a pretty common thing among those of us who take on this crazy language!), but you'll get the gist.

One thing you'll want to know: In Irish, when someone is referred to as "my brown girl" or "my red boy," what is meant is "brown or red HAIRED."

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:48 pm 

Audrey wrote:

I can tell you that it's a love song from Ulster, and that the title does, indeed, mean "The green stubble fields of Autumn." It's pronounced "KUN-lakh ghlass un OH-wer" (the "kh" is a gutteral sound, like the "ch" in "Bach," and the "gh" is a similar sound, only voiced).

Audrey

I am SO glad to find out how to pronounce that, Audrey! Thanks!

And that is a cool page you linked, with most of the words, but it looks like a bunch of the lyrics are unclear to that translator. I'll look forward to your in depth translation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:05 pm 

Well, I'm beginning to get the idea of the pace of an air. I have been listening to Loreena McKennitt, and how she sings with the music. I have tried playing with pauses. I recorded myself, with pauses and without. I honestly can't figure out which way I like. I will listen more, with Blackhawk's help; maybe get a better idea.
Blast it! I thought I had airs whipped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:39 pm 

kelly wrote:
Well, I'm beginning to get the idea of the pace of an air. I have been listening to Loreena McKennitt, and how she sings with the music. I have tried playing with pauses. I recorded myself, with pauses and without. I honestly can't figure out which way I like. I will listen more, with Blackhawk's help; maybe get a better idea.

You have them whipped if you love listening to them and playing them. Regardless. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:17 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
kelly wrote:

You have them whipped if you love listening to them and playing them. Regardless. :)

I'd elaborate on that and say you have them whipped if you realize you'll never QUITE have them whipped. Bíodh ag foghlaim i gcónaí (Be always learning), as they say. There's always something to be learned about an air...that's part of the beauty of them. Enjoy the journey and don't worry overmuch about the destination.

I would recommend that you listen to someone other than just Loreena McKennitt. She's more of a new age singer than a traditional singer. Pádraigín Ní Uallachain is a favorite of mine. Even Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh of Altan or Máire Ní Bhreannain of Clannad (their older albums) do some good traditional stuff along with their more "contemporary" work.

Blackhawk, I haven't forgotten about your translation, but it's got some funky idioms, and I'm going to have to enlist the help of some of the more experienced translators at IGTF (we have a couple of native speakers there who should be able to lick it for us).

Redwolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:26 pm 

Audrey wrote:

I would recommend that you listen to someone other than just Loreena McKennitt. She's more of a new age singer than a traditional singer. Pádraigín Ní Uallachain is a favorite of mine.

Audrey, I'm not familiar with her. Can you provide a link to some CDs of her?

Quote:
Even Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh of Altan or Máire Ní Bhreannain of Clannad (their older albums) do some good traditional stuff along with their more "contemporary" work.

Those are two of my favorites, too. I especially love Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh when she sings in Gaelic. I have all the Altan CDs just because of her singing.

Quote:
Blackhawk, I haven't forgotten about your translation, but it's got some funky idioms, and I'm going to have to enlist the help of some of the more experienced translators at IGTF (we have a couple of native speakers there who should be able to lick it for us).

Excellent, Audrey! There's no hurry. And thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:07 am 

Here's a link to her website:

http://www.padraiginniuallachain.com/

As far as CDs go, I like "An Dara Craiceann," which has a mixture of more traditional sean-nós arrangements with some of her own arrangements with instruments. I don't have "An Dealg Óir" yet...that's going to be my next music purchase, I think. "A Stór is A Stóirín" is wonderful fun...none of the songs are done in sean-nós style (and many of them are children's songs), but the accompaniment is simple and appropriate, and the book that accompanies the CD makes it easy to learn the songs and sing along!

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 pm 

Audrey wrote:
Here's a link to her website:

http://www.padraiginniuallachain.com/

As far as CDs go, I like "An Dara Craiceann," which has a mixture of more traditional sean-nós arrangements with some of her own arrangements with instruments.

Thanks for the link, Audrey. I ordered this CD today because of your recommendation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm 

Great! I think you'll like it. She has a warm, alto voice, with a lot of flexibility (I'd give my right arm to be able to sing like that!). By all accounts, she's a really nice person too.

I may just break down and order "An Dealg Óir," since I've been promising it to myself for so long...

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:37 pm 

Audrey, have you heard the singing of Iarla O Lionaird? I got 2 of his CDs this week, and I'm not sure what I think. It seems overdone in a new age fashion. But, that said, he does a great version of Taimse im Chodladh. I've never heard it sung before, so this will go onto my IPOD for listening at work. But the CDs seem to be over-produced. Even so, I'm still glad I got them. Many of the songs are traditional in origin, so I can get some idea of how they should sound. I'm just not sure how true he has stayed in the presenting of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:01 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey, have you heard the singing of Iarla O Lionaird? I got 2 of his CDs this week, and I'm not sure what I think. It seems overdone in a new age fashion. But, that said, he does a great version of Taimse im Chodladh. I've never heard it sung before, so this will go onto my IPOD for listening at work. But the CDs seem to be over-produced. Even so, I'm still glad I got them. Many of the songs are traditional in origin, so I can get some idea of how they should sound. I'm just not sure how true he has stayed in the presenting of them.

No...I've never heard of him.

I don't mind a bit of production, if the singing is good. What I can't stand is a trad singer who wants to sound like a classical singer. Some of these people...man, you just want to grab them and say "if you wanted to sound like Pavarotti, why don't you stick with Pavarotti's repertoire and leave the trad singing to the rest of us! :lol: I also dislike that whole Enya "I like to sound like I'm singing underwater" thing.

Redwolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 pm 

Now here's a coincidence! I was at my Irish class tonight and my teacher happened to mention that Iarla O Lionaird is her favorite male singer!

She's a singer herself, and has done some lovely stuff. She's schooled in the sean-nós tradition, but tends to work in a more contemporary style usually.

http://www.marymclaughlin.com

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:11 am 

Audrey wrote:
Now here's a coincidence! I was at my Irish class tonight and my teacher happened to mention that Iarla O Lionaird is her favorite male singer!

Isn't it odd now we can go for decades without hearing about something, and then we hear it twice within a day or two? That's happened to me on several occasions.

Quote:
She's a singer herself, and has done some lovely stuff. She's schooled in the sean-nós tradition, but tends to work in a more contemporary style usually.

Audrey

I had no idea she was local. Long before I got fully into Irish music I bought the Celtic Voices CD, on which she sings. Since you gave this link, I ordered the Celtic Requiem CD. If it is as good as it looks like it'll be, I'll love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:33 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Isn't it odd now we can go for decades without hearing about something, and then we hear it twice within a day or two? That's happened to me on several occasions.

Quote:

Audrey

I had no idea she was local. Long before I got fully into Irish music I bought the Celtic Voices CD, on which she sings. Since you gave this link, I ordered the Celtic Requiem CD. If it is as good as it looks like it'll be, I'll love it.

It's a beautiful CD. She does several traditionals on it, including "Fill, Fill, A Rún Ó," and one of my favorites, "Seacht nDólás na Maighdean Muire" (Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary). The chorus of that one is heartbreaking...while the verses speak of Christ's suffering and death, the chorus is a tender lullabye, such as she might have sung to him as he lay in the manger (well...if the Virgin Mary had spoken Irish, I guess!). I also enjoy the unusual treatment of the ancient Latin Requiem...very beautiful.

Her "Crystal Shoe" CD is a favorite of mine as well, but it's not a trad CD...all the songs on it are original.

Yep, she's local. I'm taking an Irish class from her right now, and I took a sean-nós class from her last winter. She's really nice. She's actually in the process of organizing a 10-workshop series on Irish Christmas song, to culminate in a performance at, of all places, Calvary! I'm really excited about that.

Audrey