Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: reflection on whistles in various keys
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm 

well, i keep selling and buying - part of my addictive behavior. must admit it is fun though....
so here's where i am at

D - blessed with an OZ. quite a whistle. incredible tone but it does take some push in the second octave. but what a sound. i usually am not prone to this key as it seems to high. but the oz is making me rethink that - it has a sound quality of a fine instrument.
Db - lovely mack white cap on brass. quite nice..
C - somers. clear tone with just a hint of chiff.
B - olive wood dion. exceptionally clear. lovely
A - one of my favorite keys. i have an old chieftian that is very expressive. and a couple of hoovers that are just too nice to part with.
G- bracker. much better whistle than i expected. strong tone without being loud.
F - bracker. shares the fipple head with the G. i like it a lot. pure in tone
E - reviol. ah, need i say more? has that dark mysterious tone. very nice. almost smoky.
DD - oynx. simply the best. i haven't tried all the low d's, but i've tried a bunch. by far the easiest to play with a great booming voice. a little flutey, but i like that...

next on the radar: i have a Bb from mr freeman on the way. then - i think i'll focus on playing these and not worry too much about the missing Eb or another whistle in A.

Post subject: Re: reflection on whistles in various keys
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Nice collection. It sounds like you're very fond of them....and it's probably important to note that your last sentence leaves open some intriguing possibilities.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm 

thanks connie . . . maybe too fond of them . . .

i think one of the coolest things about heaven is that the heart will not be limited in its praise by mere skill or the lack thereof.....every breath will praise him. however, i also think i will be able to play whistle there like i can only dream of playing here . . .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

Try the Humphreys D/Eb combo. It is a great pair of whistles.

Gary is a good guy to deal with.

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm 

oh, i spoketh too soonish.....

my challenge is that i promised my sweet wife i would not spend any new monies on whistles....so that means i have to sell one to buy one.....and in my attempt to find the ones i like the most i keep trading and selling....

so here's my latest additions:

busman in d. truly a nice whistle....i like it better than the oz as its sound is less piercing.
burke low Eb. viper, in composite. the low notes truly boom. takes some breath, but worth it.
reviols in G, F. simply some of the best i've played....love the dark tone. very expressive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

One of the best things about whistles is that every maker's whistle has its own special tone. This is also one of the worse things. So many makers, so little funds to try them all to find the 'right' ones for your ear.

My personal reflections ... there are only 3 whistles I've regretted not keeping: an Abell D, a nickel Copeland D, and a Reyburn mezzo/low G. Tried to replace the Abell and ended up with one that couldn't compare with the first. No regrets selling the 2nd one. The only whistles I might consider trying someday are an Oz, an Onyx, or a Reviol. (I blame you for this, Randy. :mrgreen: ) Like what I've heard about each, but weighing the cost & likely usage of the whistles vs the cost & likely usage of a new dulcimer .... dulcimer wins.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

Judy K wrote:
The only whistles I might consider trying someday are an Oz, an Onyx, or a Reviol. (I blame you for this, Randy. :mrgreen: ) Like what I've heard about each, but weighing the cost & likely usage of the whistles vs the cost & likely usage of a new dulcimer .... dulcimer wins.

Guilty as charged! Sorry Judy! But glad to hear you have some perspective about what matters most to you . . . A dulcimer collector eh?

I too have a dulcimer. It was my first instrument to buy as an adult. They can be quite lovely.

But I would argue the onyx would serve you better. Hard to use a dulcimer as a weapon of defense whereas the whistle in a pinch might be confused for a ninja weapon. Never know when that might come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

I will lay claim to collecting a few dulcimers ( :-k -- 11? 12?), but nothing compared to the number of whistles I had on hand, many of which ( :-k -- 20? 30?) are still here.

Randy wrote:
But I would argue the onyx would serve you better. Hard to use a dulcimer as a weapon of defense whereas the whistle in a pinch might be confused for a ninja weapon. Never know when that might come in handy.

Funny, Randy, because the Burns folk flute is right beside my chair and has occasionally been brandished as a WMD (whistle of mass destruction). Once I've played it, listeners are sure it is a WMD, but that would be whistle of musical destruction. ;)