Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:

Kelly, which is better, "Then Sings My Soul; 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns." by Robert J. Morgan or the Maranatha red praise chorus book (and is that the title?)

THIS ONE :) :)

http://maranathaweb.stores.yahoo.net/redbookprais.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:14 pm 

There are many nice tunes to be found in the old hymn books like "The English Hymnal" and the 1925 "Songs of Praise" etc. Music editor Ralph Vaughn Williams travelled around Britain and collected popular traditional tunes and used them for his hymn collections.

Kingsfold was an adaptation of a traditional English tune (and one of many that was used for Irish songs like "The Star of the County Down". It was named after Kingsfold which is near where I am staying now. But this gives you an idea of the kind of tunes he collected. Vaughan Williams also collected and used some Scottish, Irish and Welsh tunes.

Did you know the tune used for "To be a pilgrim" was originally a sea shanty? Good old Williams! Try these old hymn books for some super whistle-friendly traditional tunes.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:35 pm 

Adrian wrote:
There are many nice tunes to be found in the old hymn books like "The English Hymnal" and the 1925 "Songs of Praise" etc. Music editor Ralph Vaughn Williams travelled around Britain and collected popular traditional tunes and used them for his hymn collections.

Kingsfold was an adaptation of a traditional English tune (and one of many that was used for Irish songs like "The Star of the County Down". It was named after Kingsfold which is near where I am staying now. But this gives you an idea of the kind of tunes he collected. Vaughan Williams also collected and used some Scottish, Irish and Welsh tunes.

Did you know the tune used for "To be a pilgrim" was originally a sea shanty? Good old Williams! Try these old hymn books for some super whistle-friendly traditional tunes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Adrian. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:29 am 

I"ve found another tune for playing on whistle. See here: http://praisewhistlers.org/pwboard/viewtopic.php?t=670

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:12 am 

Wow, no one listed my FAVORITE:

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I play that one every time I take out my whistles. :)

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 am 

IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

Ooops!

Thanks for that. It's a super tune and great words and I wouldn't be suprised if Keith agrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:44 am 

Had a Methodist Pastor tell me to go out to a mission church he also serves in and get one of the "old" hymn books and I did. It has all of the old songs I grew up singing "back when". I am enjoying just seeing them again ... now have to learn to play them. Come thy Fount .. is in it .. had forgotten it ... it is a good one.

Notes are written differently than I am use to but can figure them out I think.

Glad to see you on again IrishLass .. hope all well with you and yours.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Notes are written differently than I am use to but can figure them out I think.

I have it in whistle font, I will look for it if you want a copy, let me know. I may be able to e-mail it.

Quote:
Glad to see you on again IrishLass .. hope all well with you and yours.

Things are very busy - bought a new house that needed some work, are trying to finish things up so that we can move on July 8th. Taking a break from school this summer, but haven't had time to enjoy it yet! Maybe after the move. Bought a house at the lake - hope it will be relaxing, and I can play whistle on the back deck. :) Thanks for asking. :)

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:10 pm 

IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

Oh man, I can't believe it...you all must think I'm a real heathen here, but here's ANOTHER one I've never heard of! Carolyn, where can I hear a CD version of it? And I'm sure if you love it, I'm going to want the notes, if you can email them to me.

Man, I can't believe how many cross-the-board favorites I've never heard. I guess that's what I get for being an atheist until six years ago. And now the church I attend just plays the new stuff...Robin Mark, Newsboys, Third Day, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:56 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

Oh man, I can't believe it...you all must think I'm a real heathen here, but here's ANOTHER one I've never heard of! Carolyn, where can I hear a CD version of it? And I'm sure if you love it, I'm going to want the notes, if you can email them to me.

Man, I can't believe how many cross-the-board favorites I've never heard. I guess that's what I get for being an atheist until six years ago. And now the church I attend just plays the new stuff...Robin Mark, Newsboys, Third Day, etc.

Nothing wrong with that but the old ones sure do seem to work well and since I am old enough to know the words and the melody .. makes learning them a lot easier. Just think though .. you probably won't ever run out of "new" ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:19 pm 

Here is a link to a site where you can go and listen and order a cd. I like this version:

World's Best Praise & Worship: Hymns CD

I will work on the e-mail thing. :)

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:07 pm 

IrishLass wrote:
Here is a link to a site where you can go and listen and order a cd. I like this version:

Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:24 pm 

Adrian wrote:
IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

Ooops!

Thanks for that. It's a super tune and great words and I wouldn't be suprised if Keith agrees.

Yep, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" is a great one. Hear this clip of the choir at full strength: https://tantararecords.securesites.com/ ... EOS_11.mp3

You can find this and "Death Shall Not Destroy My Comfort" (the one I mentioned the other day) performed by the BYU Choirs on this CD which is a collection of some of their best stuff: Echos of the Sabbath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:31 am 
Site Admin

Mark's website (Whistle and Squeak) has a notes, tabs & midifor "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing". "Be Thou My Vision" and Amazing Grace are there, too. That's 3 of my favorite 'whistle-friendly' hymns.

Its been a while since this thread started ... I need to check my original list, obviously! :D

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:43 am 

Quote:
Mark's website (Whistle and Squeak) has a notes, tabs & midi for "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing". "Be Thou My Vision" and Amazing Grace are there, too. That's 3 of my favorite 'whistle-friendly' hymns.

Thanks Judy - that's where I originally got the ones I have. It will be easier to just go to the site and get them there. :)

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 am 

IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

I finally got around to ordering this one just now. Thanks for the tip, Carolyn! I can't wait to learn this song on the whistle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:10 am 

Last night at prayer meeting our small group sang, "Jesus, Lamb of God", and I thought, "That may sound good on the whistle. I should learn to play that."
Then, while driving home, I remembered that I ALREADY know how to play it!

These are the ravages of old age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:43 pm 

kelly wrote:
Last night at prayer meeting our small group sang, "Jesus, Lamb of God", and I thought, "That may sound good on the whistle. I should learn to play that."
Then, while driving home, I remembered that I ALREADY know how to play it!

These are the ravages of old age.

No .. those are the ravages of a busy mind ... you remembered that you do know it .. little late perhaps ... but it's there. :-k :D

Post subject: Re: Whistle friendly Christian songs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 pm 

It's just running through my head while sitting here (haven't had a go at it yet on a whistle), but how about "Eternal Father Strong to Save" (I think that's the correct name). It's also sometimes referred to as the Navy Hymn.

Larry

http://recovered4him.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

Judy,

If a song had 4 flats, it's the key of Ab; change it to 3 #s and it's the key of A. The same if you have 5 flats, it's the key of Db; change it to 2 #s and it's the key of D. You're just going from a Flat Major key to the same key in (Neutral) Major. I don't know why, but sharps don't seem as bad to play as flats do....at least IMO. If you want, I can list the keys and how many sharps and flats there are in each...

Lyn

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:24 am 
Site Admin

IrishLass wrote:

Carolyn

There's several nice verions of this here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Lyn D wrote:
Judy,

If a song had 4 flats, it's the key of Ab; change it to 3 #s and it's the key of A. The same if you have 5 flats, it's the key of Db; change it to 2 #s and it's the key of D. You're just going from a Flat Major key to the same key in (Neutral) Major. I don't know why, but sharps don't seem as bad to play as flats do....at least IMO. If you want, I can list the keys and how many sharps and flats there are in each...

Lyn

:shock: Ouch .... music theory!

Thanks, Lyn. I just play, and haven't "studied" the basics. Will take all the help I can get ... but slowly, please. I'm old and forgetful! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 am 

Hi Judy,

I don't know how you figured out to go to 3 sharps sharps from four flats. This little chart is just to show you the keys and how many #s or bs each key has.

KEY:..........SHARPS:

C
G...............F
D...............F C
A...............F C G
E...............F C G D
B...............F C G D A
F#.............F C G D A E
C#.............F C G D A E B

KEYS:........FLATS:

C
F .............B
Bb............B E
Eb............B E A
Ab............B E A D
Db............B E A D G
Gb............B E A D G C
Cb............B E A D G C F

Lyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:44 pm 

My wife wants to do a song we've heard on a Fernando Ortega album. The song is called something like "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted"

Is it an old hymn? Have any of you heard it before? We can't find any info on it, but it's a moving song about the crucifixion.

Jorg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 am 

Jorg wrote:
My wife wants to do a song we've heard on a Fernando Ortega album. The song is called something like "Stricken, Smitten and Afflicted"

Is it an old hymn? Have any of you heard it before? We can't find any info on it, but it's a moving song about the crucifixion.

Jorg

Try here: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/lea ... mitten.pdf
The above was found on this page: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns/s04.html
Looks like it's old, though I don't know the version Fernando Ortega sings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next