Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: First Song a classic - Amazing Grace
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Since I mentioned it in the guidelines lets start with this one. I chose this one to start for a very simple reason. I have never met anyone who didn't know it. Even those who do not attend church tend to know this tune. I reccomend you right click and save as on these to load them to you personal machine.

So here we go...

First the sheet music

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace.jpg

next the wav file of the melody

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace.mp3

Last edited by shadoes on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

And I guess I get to start us off. Here we go. Just a very simply playing on my Reyburn low D with my favorite reverb setting added :) . I am a simple player not going for flash. Especially on worship songs as I want the melody to speak. Anyway here it is.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace_shadoes.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Nice!

I especially like the bird chirping in the background. :mrgreen:

Last edited by KittyR on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Very sweet. I like the simplicity. What do you use to create the reverb? What's your setting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Never mind--I went back and reviewed previous posts. Did you use your Mixcraft on that one? Does your reverb include settings for room size, percentage of reverb to unreverbed sound, damping, decay (or tail) level, that sort of thing? If so, I'd like your suggestions on settings. I use Audacity's Gverb effect, and have never come up with a sound that's quite that nice.

And BTW, thanks for this great feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
Nice!

I especially like the bird chirping in the background. :mrgreen:

Special Effects :P One of these days I will get a couple painters blankets to toss over my doors in the recording room to remove outside noise hehe

My reverb settings. This is one of the presets that came with Mixcraft called John's Reverb heh

Reverberation 50%
High Freq Damping 50%
stereo width 100%

Wet Mix 25%
Dry Mix 100%

I also occasionally use

Reverberation 74%
High Freq Damping 91%
stereo width 23%

Wet Mix 15%
Dry Mix 100%

But most often I use the first one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Very nice playing, Ed. Birds are a good thing -- a little of God's music added to yours.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the score -- or more the score size. Using IE, it's either too small to read ... or too large to print out on 1 sheet. The only way I can print off a decent version is to "save" and then print the 'picture'. That does work, but I'm curious if anyone else was having the same problem?

One more question -- if the version of Amazing Grace we're used to playing is different from the score posted, which should be recorded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:11 am 
Site Admin

the version you are used to is slightly different from the posted score. The posted score has triplets instead of 8th or quarter note passing tones. But it was already in D so I used it :) In fact if you listen closely I am not playing exactly what is in that score either.

As for the Jpg of the score. THat is why I suggested you right click and save as. Then you can use XPs built in picture viewer or any other viewer you like to make the jpg the size you like. I am still trying to find a good size as this was straight out of Finale's export then converted to JPG. I didn't mess with the jpg after that just posted what my converter gave me. I will mess with it a bit more next time to get it more manageable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Well I redid the jpg but it is still doing the same thing. Will mess with it some more after work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:38 pm 

Very nice Shadoes! Great tone, easy listening.

May I be so bold to suggest converting original ".wav" files to ".mp3". amazinggrace.wav is 9.34MB in file size. If your software will do it, the same file as an MP3 @ 128k would download much, much faster.

For anybody having trouble with the jpeg notation, here it is in PDF format. http://www.silbealabanza.com/pdf/amazinggrace.pdf

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hey now that's an idea. Make the music notation files in PDF format.

There's a free program at http://primopdf.com that will install as a "printer" on your computer. You can then output a PDF file from any Windows program, including Finale. :)

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:03 pm 

shadoes wrote:
And I guess I get to start us off. Here we go. Just a very simply playing on my Reyburn low D with my favorite reverb setting added :) . I am a simple player not going for flash. Especially on worship songs as I want the melody to speak. Anyway here it is.

I like the sound of the Reyburn. Is it one of his newer ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:44 pm 

viejomc wrote:
Very nice Shadoes! Great tone, easy listening.

May I be so bold to suggest converting original ".wav" files to ".mp3". amazinggrace.wav is 9.34MB in file size. If your software will do it, the same file as an MP3 @ 128k would download much, much faster.

For anybody having trouble with the jpeg notation, here it is in PDF format. http://www.silbealabanza.com/pdf/amazinggrace.pdf

Thanks, Gary, this helped a lot. For some reason my computer either sees it way too small to read or way too big to fit the screen. This is perfect.

Amazing Grace was either the first or second song I ever learned to play, and I learned a very simple version by sheet music. I like this one a lot better. Thanks, Ed! Well done!

Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

LisaD wrote:
shadoes wrote:

I like the sound of the Reyburn. Is it one of his newer ones?

It is one of the newer ones in the last 3-4 years :) Not sure exactly how old it is and Mr Reyburn could not tell me exactly. Only that it was made not more than 4 years ago as it has O rings and that is when he started using them :)

Oh and as for posting in pdf. JPGs are more commonly viewable not everyone has acrobat beleive it or not :) Not sure why this one is coming out so darn big as I edited the thing down to fairly small but still readable. I will see what I can do. I have a full copy of adobe around here somewhere I think. Have to dig it up though as I recently rebuilt my machine and that was one thing I haven't reinstalled yet.

Mp3 conversion I can do easy though :) In fact you will find it is already done :)

Last edited by shadoes on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Okay here is ConnieS rendition

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/Amazinggrace_connies.mp3

Of her file she says
Quote:
It's done on a cocobolo wood Greenwood in D. The tune to Amazing Grace probably got its start as an African mourning chant, so I did an Irish ornament/African blues scale fusion. Not sure it worked, since I wandered in and out of the blues scale, but it was kind of neat to try.

I used a ten dollar Skype microphone, and Vegas software to input, then used Audacity to add a touch of reverb.

And Viejomc's

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace_viejomc.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I like both of these a lot. I am a huge fan of the blues and these both sound quite bluesy. One of the things that attracts me to the whistle is its often very bluesy sound. The capacity to bend notes and make the whistle cry :)

Viejomc what all did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Viejomc, I like the duet with the harmonica. Whatever whistle that was, it has the perfect voice to go with a harmonica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

That ain't no harmonica!!! That's a button box!

Great job Gary, you haven't had that thing very long. I'm going to have to get serious about fiddle practice if I'm going to catch up with you!

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:53 am 

I have to cover up my mistakes with something. That button box is a concertina, and my first attempt at playing chords. The whistle is a Kerry Pro Low D. I use Adobe Auditon software and have a nice CAD E350 studio mic, a benefit of having a good friend who owns a music store.

Nice job ConnieS. I saw your clip last night while uploading my version and listened to it then. I like your African blues scale fusion.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
That ain't no harmonica!!! That's a button box!

Great job Gary, you haven't had that thing very long. I'm going to have to get serious about fiddle practice if I'm going to catch up with you!

Kitty

Connie, I at first thought it was a harmonica too. Then realized it was a concertina hehe. but it did make me want to bust out my harmonicas and see what they sound like together.

Oh yea and just a reminder folks. I posted this in the Guidelines too but will do it here just for completeness. When you upload your files make sure you use the correct username/password. It is just below the thread reference in the guidelines post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:11 am 

KittyR wrote:
Hey now that's an idea. Make the music notation files in PDF format.

There's a free program at http://primopdf.com that will install as a "printer" on your computer. You can then output a PDF file from any Windows program, including Finale. :)

Kitty

Thanks, Kitty. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Admin

KittyR wrote:
That ain't no harmonica!!! That's a button box

Kitty

:oops:

Gary, the coolness factor goes up a bit with that being a concertina. 8)

My 4'11" mother used to have this huge full-sized accordion. You could barely see her behind that thing. I used to play it some when I was a kid. I'll bet I could give a button box or concertina a go. Hmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:41 am 

I was able to play a nice harmony along with it, on my G harmonica. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:55 am 

I think this is what I'll try:

Verse 1: Whistle only.
Verse 2: Whistle + guitar.
Verse 3: Whistle + guitar + bass.
Verse 4: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ.
Verse 5: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ + low whistle.

Whaddaya think? I think the "building" process will sound neat. Should I go for it? :mrgreen:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I do a similar process a lot. Sometimes I start with the guitar then add whistle. Or start with the whistle then move to guitar. Invariably though all parts will get redone several times as the arraignment evolves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next