Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Invariably though all parts will get redone several times as the arraignment evolves.

Oh no! Do you need someone to post your bail? ;)

(I know what you meant. I just thought it was kinda funny.) :lol:

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:19 pm 

shadoes wrote:
I do a similar process a lot. Sometimes I start with the guitar then add whistle. Or start with the whistle then move to guitar. Invariably though all parts will get redone several times as the arraignment evolves.

I've been arraigned a few times.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

unfortunatly so have I... arrangement... yeesh ONE little typo hehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

brassblower wrote:
Whaddaya think? I think the "building" process will sound neat. Should I go for it? :mrgreen:

Absolutely! Get busy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 pm 

brassblower wrote:
I think this is what I'll try:

Verse 1: Whistle only.
Verse 2: Whistle + guitar.
Verse 3: Whistle + guitar + bass.
Verse 4: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ.
Verse 5: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ + low whistle.

Whaddaya think? I think the "building" process will sound neat. Should I go for it? :mrgreen:

Verse 6: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ + low whistle + full orchestra. :mrgreen:
I'm waiting...foot tapping. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Here's FancyPiper's track.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/AmazingGrace_FancyPiper.mp3

and here is what he had to say about the track

Quote:
It is played on my C pipes, chanter by Seth Gallagher, drones by Pat Sky, bag and bellows by Mark Hillmann. The chanter reed was made by my good friend Bernard Grigsby, but I finished and tuned it to the chanter while I had cataracts. I am surprised that I didn't ruin the reed!

I made the drone reeds, they are brass hobby tubing with arundo donax tongues.

I recorded this using two Marshall MXL 990 condenser microphones feeding into a Behringer MX802A 8 channel preamp which furnishes the phantom power for the mics. That was plugged into the line input of a SoundBlaster Live audio card, and I used cooledit96 to record and amplify it. I amplified it to 3 db below the maximum, no effects, no noise reduction, the equalizer knobs were all set to 0 or flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nice.. really dug it when the drones kicked in. Especially really like the last verse. You seemed to really hit your stride there :) Nicely done. Bagpipes are something I always wanted to try to pick up but never have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:18 am 

Thanks for sharing your music Phil. I really like those drones. Wish I had a set just for the drones. I think they would sound nice behind a low whistle. Have you done any recording of whistle with the drones as a background accompaniment? I've tried to simulate drones with low whistles, but it just doesn't sound quite right. I've sold my GHB set and also my NSPs, so I'm out of piping completely. :(

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 am 

Blackhawk wrote:
brassblower wrote:

Verse 6: Whistle + guitar + bass + organ + low whistle + full orchestra. :mrgreen:

I would try, but even my living room will just barely fit a string quartet. My computer room is out of the question. ;)

I've got everything done now except the whistles, the level tweaks, and the mix-down. Hopefully I'll have that done this weekend. :) I've been recording at night with sleepers in the house, and as far as I know, you can't silence a whistle with headphones. :roll:

I can hardly wait until everyone makes their contributions. I will download everyone's files and make myself a CD with only "Amazing Grace" on it. I think it could put the "Danny Boy" album to shame! 8)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:17 am 

viejomc wrote:
Have you done any recording of whistle with the drones as a background accompaniment?:(

I'm not sure. I have used it as background for bouzouki and guitar leads in our gigs.

Check the recordings under the "Free tunes" link in my sig. Most of those are friends and I messing arround with varouis stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:31 am 

brassblower wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
brassblower wrote:

I would try, but even my living room will just barely fit a string quartet. My computer room is out of the question. ;)

I've got everything done now except the whistles, the level tweaks, and the mix-down. Hopefully I'll have that done this weekend. :) I've been recording at night with sleepers in the house, and as far as I know, you can't silence a whistle with headphones. :roll:

I can hardly wait until everyone makes their contributions. I will download everyone's files and make myself a CD with only "Amazing Grace" on it. I think it could put the "Danny Boy" album to shame! 8)

I hope my wife gets time soon to figure out how to do this recording stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Fancy Piper, I enjoyed your pipes very much. I love hearing you slide. And then on the last verse, when you close with a slide down against the drone, it's just exquisite. Well done.

-Connie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here is KHL's track

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/AmazingGrace_khl.mp3

Hopefully he will tell us what whistle he used. :) Very nice track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:21 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Here is KHL's track
]
Hopefully he will tell us what whistle he used. :)

I should have said something in the PM I sent. I was in a hurry to get from my apartment to the air-conditioned library before the temperature hit 100. (I'll be glad to get back to Hawaii next month.)

The whistle is an Abell D Delrin. I recorded this a few months ago with a nice microphone and set up--not mine, but at the university--and I only had time to do one take on this and the other songs I was recording.

My rendition here sounds a little more plainly assertive/proclamatory than meditative. I'll have to try meditative someday.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:16 pm 

khl wrote:

My rendition here sounds a little more plainly assertive/proclamatory than meditative. I'll have to try meditative someday.

Cheers.

Very nicely and assertively done. Thanks khl. Where are you that it's 100 F. It was 104 on my back porch this afternoon. Winter is welcome anytime.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:58 pm 

viejomc wrote:
khl wrote:

Cheers.

Very nicely and assertively done. Thanks khl. Where are you that it's 100 F. It was 104 on my back porch this afternoon. Winter is welcome anytime.

I think it was 97 here today, with triple-digits expected early next week.

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:53 pm 

viejomc wrote:
Where are you that it's 100 F. It was 104 on my back porch this afternoon. Winter is welcome anytime.

I'm in Provo, UT. 104 is a hot one. I think we only hit 101-102. Hotter tomorrow. We're told to expect a few more days like this until it cools down to 98-99F. But, there's folks that have it worse. Southern Utah, Nevada, Southern California, etc. They must be withering.

Time for a popsicle, even though that means no more whistle playing for the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Here is brassblower's track.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace_brassblower.mp3

And his comments
Quote:
Whistles used: Hoover PVC D, Dixon Low G.

Other instruments used: Guitar, bass, organ (all electric).

Microphone used: Small battery-powered mic from Radio Shack (whistles only - all other instruments were plugged directly into the sound card).

Recording software used: Adobe Audition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nicely done by the way. So far all the posted tracks have been wonderful. And just as I had hoped pretty different stylistically. Can't wait as we go forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:13 am 

Anyone have the chords?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 am 
Site Admin

Here'sa PDF from Sheet Music Digital with chords. Hope it shows up for everyone. I have Scorch downloaded, so it's going to show for me regardless. :?

AHA! Mark has the chords on "Amazing Grace" on his Whistle & Squeak website -- Cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Whistle and Squeak is a nice little site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:

I like the proclamatory tone. That Abell seems to shine when you play it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

That last post was for KHL. This one is for Brassblower. VERY nice. You've mastered lots of instruments, there. My favorite verse was the third. It was very timely for me. Here's why.

I was surfing the net while listening to your music. On a news site I was watching a picture come up. Your bass kicked in just as the pic was revealed--a bomb cloud rising over Haifa. And I had one of those moments. The world is a scary place, but God's grace is truly amazing.

Okay, moment over. It's really nice, Brassblower. What kind of guitar are you using? Is it electric or acoustic/electric?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Got my new O'brien Maple tuneable D in last night and thought I would share what this lovely thing sounds like :) Similar to last time this is just the whistle with a touch of reverb.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazing_grace_shadoes2.mp3

hehe I have been playing with this alot though. I looked on my harddrive today and found about half a dozen different versions. You get to trying different things. If anyone wants to hear them let me know. Not going to overload the forum with me experimenting :) I also discovered that the first thing I do when I haven't picked up the guitar in awhile apparently is run home to my country roots hahaha. that and the fact that when you kick the tempo up just a bit Amazing Grace just falls quite nicely into a country shuffle type rhythm :mrgreen:

This song fascinates me. Because no matter how you play it. It speaks and depending on the way you choose to play the song it speaks in different ways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next