Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:50 pm 

shadoes wrote:
This song fascinates me. Because no matter how you play it. It speaks and depending on the way you choose to play the song it speaks in different ways.

It speaks volumes. I can't hear the tune without hearing the words. I can't hear the words without remembering what a wretch I was. I was dead in sin and more rotten than Lazarus. The manifestation of sin was hidieous and I should have been put away somewhere in a tomb, separated from society. Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear when I first began to read the Bible and see my self as I really was. But it was also Grace that relieved my fears and showed me the love of God in providing a Savior and full atonement for my sin. What an amazing Savior our God is, and grace truly is amazing. I would never have come to Him without His merciful and amazing grace.

Thanks shadoes. I believe that's the first sound clip I've heard of an O'brien whistle. Sweet.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

I got one on a whistle tour Mr O'brien sent out and absolutely fell in love. This new one I bought has a slightly different feel than the tour whistle but still the same beuatiful sound. And I am already starting to get used to it :) Lovelove LOVE it :) Did I mention I love it? hehehehe :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:08 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Whistle and Squeak is a nice little site.

Yes, it is! 8)

ConnieS wrote:
That last post was for KHL. This one is for Brassblower. VERY nice. You've mastered lots of instruments, there. My favorite verse was the third. It was very timely for me. Here's why.

I was surfing the net while listening to your music. On a news site I was watching a picture come up. Your bass kicked in just as the pic was revealed--a bomb cloud rising over Haifa. And I had one of those moments. The world is a scary place, but God's grace is truly amazing.

Okay, moment over. It's really nice, Brassblower. What kind of guitar are you using? Is it electric or acoustic/electric?

Thanks for your kind comments, Connie. The guitar is the Peavey version of a Fender Stratocaster, with the pickup selector in the neck position.

shadoes wrote:
Got my new O'brien Maple tuneable D in last night and thought I would share what this lovely thing sounds like :) Similar to last time this is just the whistle with a touch of reverb.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazing_grace_shadoes2.mp3

hehe I have been playing with this alot though. I looked on my harddrive today and found about half a dozen different versions. You get to trying different things. If anyone wants to hear them let me know. Not going to overload the forum with me experimenting :) I also discovered that the first thing I do when I haven't picked up the guitar in awhile apparently is run home to my country roots hahaha. that and the fact that when you kick the tempo up just a bit Amazing Grace just falls quite nicely into a country shuffle type rhythm :mrgreen:

This song fascinates me. Because no matter how you play it. It speaks and depending on the way you choose to play the song it speaks in different ways.

Go for it! It fits right into my plan to burn an all-Amazing-Grace CD. :D

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:17 pm 

I've been editing and mixing audio for several years now, using Cool Edit Pro, now known as Adobe Audition. It's powerful, but noise reduction and pitch shift almost always leaves unpleasant artifacts on most instruments and voices. BUT, not so much on whistle, in fact, very little. After listening to Nick Metcalfs clip of "Flee As A Bird", I thought I would try shifting more than just a couple of semitones. Usually that's about as far as you can go without major quality loss. This is another sound byte of Amazing Grace using my Hoover Low Eb "Wind Tunnel" (As Mack called it). I shifted the pitch down 6 semitones, which I think would be the key of A. Never tried this before and was surprised by the results. This is on my web space so that I don't take up more space here.

http://www.silbealabanza.com/audio128k/amazinggrace_pitchshift.mp3

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:40 pm 

viejomc wrote:
shadoes wrote:

It speaks volumes. I can't hear the tune without hearing the words. I can't hear the words without remembering what a wretch I was. I was dead in sin and more rotten than Lazarus. The manifestation of sin was hidieous and I should have been put away somewhere in a tomb, separated from society. Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear when I first began to read the Bible and see my self as I really was. But it was also Grace that relieved my fears and showed me the love of God in providing a Savior and full atonement for my sin. What an amazing Savior our God is, and grace truly is amazing. I would never have come to Him without His merciful and amazing grace.

Wow! You really rang my bell with this, Gary. I've been a follower of Jesus for almost six years now. In that time I've heard many refer to when they got "saved." I've always thought that was a small word for what He did for me. I think "salvaged" is a more descriptive word. He salvaged me from the junk heap of life. I love Psalm 40: "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire..." That really rings my bell, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:47 pm 

Whoa! I need to wake up. I missed Brassblower's clip, just now listened. Wow, a one man band, I love it. You should hear/feel that bass coming across my Mackie SRM450s. Shakes the rafters and rattles the windows. I've been hankering to get an electric bass. Good job, Brassblower! I enjoyed that.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:51 pm 

shadoes wrote:

This really is the fun of having different folks post their clips. You get to hear different renditions and, in my case anyway, learn more about playing whistle.

The O'Brien wood sounds nice. I"ve got a set of copper O'Briens and really like them.

(By the way, thanks to all who commented on my track.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

I will leave this one on my webspace. But here it is. Guitar/bass/high whistle/low whistle

http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/amazing_ ... histle.mp3

enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 am 

viejomc wrote:
I've been editing and mixing audio for several years now, using Cool Edit Pro, now known as Adobe Audition. It's powerful, but noise reduction and pitch shift almost always leaves unpleasant artifacts on most instruments and voices.

I've found that bandpass filtering usually works better for me than the pre-packaged noise reduction methods. I also try not to get too far away from the original pitch with my pitch-shifting.

I do, however, have an octave box, so if I need a low Eb, I just play my regular Eb into it, and it comes out as a low Eb on the recording. The problem with the octave box, however, is that all of the chiff is removed. It would probably sound better to duplicate those parts with the organ.

viejomc wrote:
Whoa! I need to wake up. I missed Brassblower's clip, just now listened. Wow, a one man band, I love it. You should hear/feel that bass coming across my Mackie SRM450s. Shakes the rafters and rattles the windows. I've been hankering to get an electric bass. Good job, Brassblower! I enjoyed that.

The funny thing is that when I recorded the bass and played it back through my cheesy little sound card and cheap headphones, I could barely hear it. Thanks for the tip- it will keep me from accidentally making the bass too overpowering. And thanks for the compliment! :D

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:10 pm 

Nice recordings. I really like that blues one!
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
I will leave this one on my webspace. But here it is. Guitar/bass/high whistle/low whistle

http://www.shadoespace.net/mp3/amazing_ ... histle.mp3

enjoy

Wow, Shadoes! This one is really neat. I like the ethereal whistle improv you do on that. The 4/4 time threw me in the first few measures (creature of habit), but after a couple of lines it all made sense. Gives you more room to improvise. Very nice!!

Oh, and nice touch "hammering on" that guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Wow, Shadoes! This one is really neat. I like the ethereal whistle improv you do on that. The 4/4 time threw me in the first few measures (creature of habit), but after a couple of lines it all made sense. Gives you more room to improvise. Very nice!!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. I was shooting for something a bit different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a second track by KHL

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace2_khl.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:55 am 

I like it. Very calming. I was thinking that it would be neat to record another track over such a mellow sound; maybe your voice, reading a Psalm.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:47 am 

viejomc wrote:
I like it. Very calming. I was thinking that it would be neat to record another track over such a mellow sound; maybe your voice, reading a Psalm.

Thanks. I recorded this using my Abell A as a kind of end of the day, time to rest and be calm rendition in contrast to my earlier track. This one was recorded with Audacity and with a computer microphone and so the volume is a little softer than the other tracks on this thread. Hopefully the resonance/richness of the blackwood still comes through.

As for recording over with my voice, that would be something of a disaster. With my nasal tone and mid to high range voice, rather than calming I fear it would disturb the children and annoy the adults. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Might be neat to collabarate on a bit. I could also see a voice singing a harmony line to the melody of the whistle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Here we have Ron Kiley's track

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/AmazingGrace_RonKiley.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

shadoes wrote:
Here we have Ron Kiley's track

An interpretation a little more on the jaunty side. I like it. :)

What whistles did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

And here is KittyR's track.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/amazinggrace_kitty.mp3

KittyR wrote:
I like Amazing Grace done with a joyful, celebrational-type feel, so I do it in 6/8.

This was done in a hurry so the mistakes are left in. I did the guitar track last night, percussion this morning, whistles and bass this afternoon. The whistle tracks have wind noise, but I was halfway done when I realized it and I wasn't about to go back and do it again.

I'm using my brand new Syn C! This is really the first time I've worked with it so I haven't learned which notes tend to be sharp or flat yet.... you guys will just have to wince through those parts. :mrgreen:

Kitty

By the by this makes the 9th track for the first song. Off to a grand start and hopefully will only get bigger and better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:54 pm 

The first whistle is a Humphrey Eb. The second is an Alba Q1 D. Several people had asked why I like these two whistles. I think these two recordings show the difference in sound between the two. I used Audacity to record them. There is a little distortion in the second recording. I don't where it came from.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:32 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Might be neat to collabarate on a bit. I could also see a voice singing a harmony line to the melody of the whistle.

Yeah, something like a lullaby type singing -- or not. I'm absolutely without experience in music collaboration and mixing (and if I were, I wouldn't have time now anyway), but if someone wants to take what I've done on the whistle and do something with it, that's fine by me.

I really am amazed at the variety from just this small group. It's interesting and enjoyable to listen to them all. The latest track (Kitty's) is filled with brightness and makes me smile and want to jump up and down in glee (in a dignified manner, of course, because I'm currently in the university library).

If you haven't recorded and sent a clip yet, please do.

Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Kitty's track perfectly illustrates what I was saying earlier. When played with an upbeat the song lifts your spirit in a joyful way. When played in a slower more meditative way the same lifts the spirit in a strengthening way. hehe kind of hard to exactly articulate what I am thinking for some reason :) but hopefully you get the point :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Okay I played around a bit tonight trying to find something that went with Khl meditative version. I sent this to him before posting so just so you guys know he said okay :) Hope you guys enjoy this.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/songfile/AmazingGrace_KHL_Shadoes.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:40 am 

:cry: That was soooo beautiful.

Was that you singing in the back ground?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Thank you. yes it is. All the vocal parts there are me. The Whistle is KHL's track from above in the thread. What I did was record the singing line. Double it and push both into the background. Then the spoken part is left with no effects on it at all to give it a quite different tone than the rest. I also went ahead and slapped a touch of reverb on the whistle line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next