All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:48 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Put me down too Darvis. Every few months or so I play and air during the offering at our church. That is when we have music that is not with the litergy. I like playing without the PA system so they can hear the real tone of a whistle. The first one I played was ''Roisin Dubh''. The black dots came from http://www.tinwhistler.com . People I did not know before now speak to me by name. It is great to make a contribution besides being an usher. Playing airs without the words gives a person a few moments for reflexion.

You're so right, Tommy. I've always felt that way, too. What others have you played during the offering, after "Roisin Dubh," Tommy? What are some of your favorites?

Rosin Dubh, Sliabh na mBan both are from http://www.tinwhistler.com I like his site because it is easy to find and hear the music. Taimse im Chodladh from ''Irland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes'' volume 1. I like this book with the cd's. I have played those three at least twice and on June 11 I will be adding one that I saw on your list from another thread ''Eanach Chuin''. So in a way you will be part of it. 8)

That makes me feel good, Tommy. :)

Taimse im Choladh is Gaelic for "Do not wake me, I am sleeping." Paddy Maloney played it on his pipes at a ceremony in NY right after 9/11. I love it but haven't learned it yet. I've practiced it but don't have it down to memory yet.

I like your other choices, too, but haven't learned them yet, either.

Wednesday I practiced playing Eanach Chuin on whistle with an auto harp accompanying me. She did not have all the chords needed on the autoharp so today we tried with Ann playing the piano. It was real nice,and tomorrow we will play it at both the 8 am and 10:30 am service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:24 pm 

Tommy wrote:
Wednesday I practiced playing Eanach Chuin on whistle with an auto harp accompanying me. She did not have all the chords needed on the autoharp so today we tried with Ann playing the piano. It was real nice,and tomorrow we will play it at both the 8 am and 10:30 am service.

That's a beautiful air, Tommy. On CD I have a version by Micho Russell and one by Seamus Tansey. Both are gorgeous. Your congregation is in for a treat tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:48 pm 

Tommy wrote:

How'd it go, Tommy? Which whistle did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:36 pm 

I would love it if someone would make up a list of the 10 best trad CDs in the slow airs and/or Irish style. I look at these CDs and no nothing about what is good or what to buy. I know there would be differences among you, but a lot of common ground on what you like. That would be great, if someone could spare the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:20 pm 

kelly wrote:
I would love it if someone would make up a list of the 10 best trad CDs in the slow airs and/or Irish style. I look at these CDs and no nothing about what is good or what to buy. I know there would be differences among you, but a lot of common ground on what you like. That would be great, if someone could spare the time.

Kelly, here's a good place to start.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/41 ... tml?200611
I have both of these CDs, and if you're ok with them being played on the flute, these are very good indeed. I just wish he'd come out with another one. The way he works is that you email him, give him your mailing address, and he just sends you the CDs. Once you get them, you send him the money. You can't go wrong!

And if you can find Joe Burke's Tailor's Choice, there are several slow airs on it, on both flute and whistle. I don't have time to do a search for the CD now (it's out of print) but his website is here:
http://www.joeburkemusic.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:39 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Tommy wrote:

How'd it go, Tommy? Which whistle did you use?

It was beautiful. The piano player made it happen. The first service she played it the way we practiced and the second service she changed it a little. We played it three times through. We both played the first and third time and she played the second time alone.We have played other tunes that way and it works very well. At practice I used my Overton low d but my wife said because it makes that octave change I should use a soprano that is not shrill. I used a d tube that I made from 19/32 K&S tubing and a Generation Bb fipple. It has a larger bore than a mellow d. I tweaked the fipple with a brass blade and enlarged the windway. It makes good mellow volume so we don't need the pa system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:28 pm 

THanks, Blackhawk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:13 am 

Audrey wrote:
I would recommend that you listen to someone other than just Loreena McKennitt. She's more of a new age singer than a traditional singer. Pádraigín Ní Uallachain is a favorite of mine. Even Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh of Altan or Máire Ní Bhreannain of Clannad (their older albums) do some good traditional stuff along with their more "contemporary" work.

Redwolf

Audrey, have you heard of Aoife Ni Fhearraigh? I ran across her website here, but have never heard of her:
http://www.aoife.ie/
I'm hesitant to gamble on her newests release, but I'm curious nonetheless. Ossianusa carries this CD. Hmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:44 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey wrote:
I would recommend that you listen to someone other than just Loreena McKennitt. She's more of a new age singer than a traditional singer. Pádraigín Ní Uallachain is a favorite of mine. Even Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh of Altan or Máire Ní Bhreannain of Clannad (their older albums) do some good traditional stuff along with their more "contemporary" work.

Redwolf

Audrey, have you heard of Aoife Ni Fhearraigh? I ran across her website here, but have never heard of her:
I'm hesitant to gamble on her newests release, but I'm curious nonetheless. Ossianusa carries this CD. Hmmmm....

Aoife is what Sandy Denny would have sounded like singing in Irish. 8)

(Of course, much the same could be said about Maire Brennan.) :D

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 pm 

Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Redwolf

I'm afraid I don't know her, no.

I've recently fallen in love with the singing of Conall Ó Gallchóir, however. Unfortunately, I don't know of a U.S. source for his CD:

http://www.celtic-music-shop.co.uk/CICDCOG.html

He has a marvelous tenor voice (not one of those over-trained operatic tenors...rather the kind of voice that sounds like all he has to do is open his mouth and beautiful sound just comes out!), and his Irish is lovely.

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:12 am 

brassblower wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Redwolf

Aoife is what Sandy Denny would have sounded like singing in Irish. 8)

(Of course, much the same could be said about Maire Brennan.) :D

Well, I guess that means I'll have to get her CD. I take it you already have it, Brass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:14 am 

Audrey wrote:
I've recently fallen in love with the singing of Conall Ó Gallchóir, however. Unfortunately, I don't know of a U.S. source for his CD:

http://www.celtic-music-shop.co.uk/CICDCOG.html

He has a marvelous tenor voice (not one of those over-trained operatic tenors...rather the kind of voice that sounds like all he has to do is open his mouth and beautiful sound just comes out!), and his Irish is lovely.

Audrey

Thanks for the heads up, Audrey. I wish they gave a track list on that website. I like to know which songs will be on the CDs I'm thinking of getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:45 am 

I'm on my way out the door now, but if you can wait two weeks, I can give you a track list when I get home from vacation.

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:05 am 

Audrey wrote:
I'm on my way out the door now, but if you can wait two weeks, I can give you a track list when I get home from vacation.

Audrey

Yup, I can wait two weeks. And then we're going to want to see some cool whistling pix from your vacation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Audrey wrote:
I'm on my way out the door now...

Now there's a true Praise Whistler... visit the forum just one last time when you're out the door for vacation. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:59 pm 

Here's that track list. These aren't necessarily in order, as I just printed them down as they are on my playlist:

Ni Fheicfhearr Níos Mó Thú, a Mhuirnín

Mailidh Mhohmhar

A Mhuire 's a Rí

Méilte Cheann Dubhrainn

Ba Loinnreach Grian an Tráthnóna

An Cuimhin Leat an Oíche

An Baitsiléir

Cnoc an Diarraidh

Is Fada Liom Uaim Í

An Cailín Bán

Seachrán Chairn tSiadhail

If you'd like to listen to a sample track, let me know, and I can send you an MP3. Not all of these are sean nós, but all are quite lovely. My favorites are Ba Loinnreach Grian an Tráthnóna and Ni Fheicfhearr Níos Mó Thú, a Mhuirnín.

Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:36 am 

Thanks, Audrey. I'll have to wait til next month to get the CD, but it's on my list now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:00 am 

Judy K wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
... and there aren't many of us who really love the slow airs. On this Board, probably just you, Audrey and me, in fact.

Hey ... I like airs, too! Maybe I can't play them as well as I should -- but I like them. I'll even play some of the other 'trad' songs slowly, more like an air -- doing everything 'wrong' in some eyes. :roll: Since my music is for my entertainment or time with God, it shouldn't matter how it's played.

Judy

Wow! I'm really out of touch as I have only just found time to read through this thread fully.

ME TOO! I love playing airs more than all other music. It took several years of playing before I could play them to my own level of satisfaction but the journey has been worth it. Looking at the score (which can only ever be a very rough guide to airs) they look so easy but the reality is that I find them the most difficult out of all the Irish musical genres. I agree lots of listening is fundamental to mastering this most beautiful form of music.