Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:55 pm 

Y'all, these are great. Kitty, I'm jealous!

I hope to record soon. Got the mic back up and at'em!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:03 pm 

Shadoes, that's awesome! Keith's clip with the vocals. Now I can put a voice to you. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 pm 

Some great music here for sure but I am wondering if you realize how intimidating it is for someone who has trouble trying to record and is very unsure of his playing to hear multiple tracks .. drums ... voice and etc. ? :shock:

I would like to give it a try but .. to me .. and probably to you as well ... my playing wouldn't come up to what I am hearing. In the first place .. I would have to get it recorded and that is a big one to overcome. In the second .. Amazing Grace .. is not one of my favorite ones to play.

Perhaps I will try on later ones but first I have to figure out the recording end of it.

I am not complaining ... am enjoying the music .... but just wanted to let you know that some of us .. or at least one of us ... isn't comfortable as you seem to be with the technical end of things.

Blackhawk once asked me for a CD of the songs I play .. meaning more than one ... LOL ... I have yet to record anything I would share with anyone.

Going back to my cave ... but keep the music coming .. it is great!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:
Some great music here for sure but I am wondering if you realize how intimidating it is for someone who has trouble trying to record and is very unsure of his playing to hear multiple tracks .. drums ... voice and etc. ? :shock:

Actually yes I do realize exactly how intimidating it can be. Frankly some of what is posted here is intimidating to me :) But if you never put out a track or try to record one then you cannot get better.

Quote:
I would like to give it a try but .. to me .. and probably to you as well ... my playing wouldn't come up to what I am hearing. In the first place .. I would have to get it recorded and that is a big one to overcome. In the second .. Amazing Grace .. is not one of my favorite ones to play.

as this is a totally voluntary thing there is no problem here. But I have often found that by playing songs we do not always care for we grow. And often that is when I find my skills stretched the most. I would encourage you to give it a whirl. It has already been said many time no one's playing level will be looked down upon. Again I can only encourage you to give it a whirl.

Quote:
Perhaps I will try on later ones but first I have to figure out the recording end of it.

pretty sure we are all willing to help, you have but to ask the questions.

Quote:
I am not complaining ... am enjoying the music .... but just wanted to let you know that some of us .. or at least one of us ... isn't comfortable as you seem to be with the technical end of things.

in truth I learned a long time ago there are a lot of people not as comfortable with technical things as I am :) But then again I consider myself to be a rank amatuer compared to many folks I know.

Again all we can really do is encourage you to post your stuff. No one is going to judge your playing ability. Heck it can't be much worse than mine :) I frankly consider myself a rank begginer. So far pretty much every other track I have heard that isn't me has better whistle playing on it. hehe and certainly I am about as far from trad as you can get. I believe recently my playing was described as...velvety :mrgreen: Which is nice but trad it ain't hahaha.

Record you stuff. If you need help ask. Post your track. And we all become enriched by yet another style. Unfortunatly I can guarentee that the songs chosen will not always be to everyone's liking. In fact I have several in the pipeline that are not really to my own liking. But that does not make them without merit.

And on final note, nothing in the post is meant in an inflamatory manner. So please do not take it as such. It is rather late and I have been wrestling my two 100 pound pups tonight so am quite tired. Forgive me if anything I have said comes across as less than polite. It isn;t meant to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Jim Wright wrote:

Oh yes, Jim, I remember well how it feels to be a beginner... and you know what? It never ends! There's ALWAYS going to be someone more accomplished than me around.

Hey look, we're family here, right? So let it all hang out baby, and share with us what you've got! The trick is to just enjoy what you're doing regardless of what others can or cannot accomplish, and share the joy with the rest of us.

I think learning the recording process will be frustrating—and when it finally starts working—rewarding. But we'll all share tips and tricks ... or mutual ignorance and commiseration. :mrgreen:

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:48 pm 

I have been on this list a long time ... I don't take offense .. unless bulls come charging through. :D

I appreciate the encouragement and will try it and see if I can get something recorded. Anything I submit will probably either have clocks ticking or striking .. just the nature of the beast!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

haha half my tracks have my birds chirping in the background :) at least the clock keeps a beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:17 am 

I find it very intimidating to post here or anywhere else. There are only a handful of people who have ever heard me play outside of my family. I do not consider myself a Trad player either. The fact is I don't ever expect to be a Trad player. I wasn't born in west Clare. I do however enjoy Irish music. When I was told that the best way to learn was to learn by ear the music I knew well I realized that what I know the best is hymns. I play for me and my lady. I have inflicted it on you because you asked for it. :D

I have been working in electronics and computer systems since the 50s but I stll have trouble from time to time getting something to work on the beastly machine. When I tried to record this tune I had a lot of noise on the track. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I removed the web cam with its built in microphone and all the noise went bye bye. You only learn if you keep trying.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:28 am 
Site Admin

Ron,

when you plug your webcam in go into the control panel and audio tab and see if you can disable the microphone on the webcam. Might have to look in device manager as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 am 

LOL... I just started to give recording a try. I downloaded a free version of 'Sony Acid Xpress', and am totally confused by it. ( There must be an easier way. :roll: )

Anyway... While recording one clip, at lunch time, (my computer's in the kitchen.) My two year old daughter, (who should have been eating her PB and J), decided to sing along. No words mind you. Just her version of ooo's and aaah's.

I don't even know if I can post clips from this recording thingy I'm useing. But my brother in law is coming over tommorow for my daughters B-Day, and he said he'd help me.

Your Eternal Bro,
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:48 am 

shadoes wrote:
Ron,

when you plug your webcam in go into the control panel and audio tab and see if you can disable the microphone on the webcam. Might have to look in device manager as well.

I tried this and couldn't find a place to mute it. I just went into control panel - labtec camera - audio. I looked at it and didn't see anything. Then I noticed the micropne button on the volume control. I clicked on it and another window popped up with a mute all option. I tried it with Audacity and my noise was all gone. :D :D :D

Thanks for getting me to try again.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Audacity is also free and there are several inexpensive ones out there. I uses Acoustica Mixcraft which was something like 40 dollars. Again if anyone needs help just fire off some questions and those of us who are able or at least willing :) will try to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Admin

eternalbro wrote:
Anyway... While recording one clip, at lunch time, (my computer's in the kitchen.) My two year old daughter, (who should have been eating her PB and J), decided to sing along. No words mind you. Just her version of ooo's and aaah's.

Ooooooh, now THAT'S a praise clip I want to hear!! Do you still have it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:02 am 

Nope... I deleted it,cause I don't know how to save them. But once I figure it out, I'll try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:08 am 

RonKiley wrote:
I do not consider myself a Trad player either. The fact is I don't ever expect to be a Trad player. I wasn't born in west Clare. I do however enjoy Irish music.

I wasn't born in west Clare, either. I was, however, born in west Texas. 8)

I love Irish music, too, but for some reason (probably the reason above), my "Trad" usually comes out flavored more like carne asada and flan than it does like Irish stew and soda bread. That may explain why one of my favorite bands is David Wilkie and Cowboy Celtic. ;)

GOD the Father
GOD the Son
GOD the Holy Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Like I said in anothe post I prefer to think of myself as Shamfluenced(ie.. shamrock influenced) my fav celtic stuff is the music that is traditional flavored not neccasasarily 'pure drop'. Lunasa, Flook, etc.. folks like that. NOT mind you that there is anything wrong with pure traditional. Love that to. but if I have to choose I will take the former group rather than the later :)

Back to topic, I am moving my wife's stuff to the house this weekendbut I will try to have the next song up by early next week as believe it or not Monday will be the two week mark for the first song.

Again I think we are off to a rousing start. AND just because we move to another song does not mean someone cannot record this current one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:19 pm 

shadoes wrote:
Again I think we are off to a rousing start. AND just because we move to another song does not mean someone cannot record this current one.

I look forward to more people posting their recordings.

And, because during family vacations I was often the kid who asked "how much longer?" or "how soon before we get to Little America?" (this was the drive from Denver, across Wyoming, to Southeast Idaho and Little America was a key landmark--highly anticipated because of its great ice cream cones), I want to know what the next song will be. ;)

Please. Please. Master gives us a hint. We wants it. We needs it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

khl wrote:
Please. Please. Master gives us a hint. We wants it. We needs it.

I would. If I knew myself. Haven;t quite decided yet. HAve another couple I need to look at first :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:49 am 

I should have my new computer within the next week and can then begin figuring out how to record and send songs. Every song I post will be the most simple versions anyone has ever heard, but that's just the way it is. It'll be fun, regardless, and I'll learn a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:31 am 

I just now listened to the KHL_Shadoes voice over. Man that's great. I would try that myself, but my voice is not much for listening to.

I downloaded and installed Audacity last night, just so that I could learn something new. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to set the "Gverb" values? Entering values in decibel amounts for effects is foreign to me.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 am 

I'm still searching for that great unknown reverb setting for GVerb myself.

Gary, here's one possible reference point to choose your reverb from:

Roomsize: 75
Reverb Time: 5
Damping: 0.5
Input Bandwidth: 0.75
Dry Signal Level: -9
Early Reflection Level: -17
Tail Level: -25

And here's a perty reverb with a different feel, if I recollect properly:

Roomsize: Default
Reverb Time: 3
Damping: 0
Input Bandwidth: 1
Dry Signal Level: 0
Early Reflection Level: -70
Tail Level: Default

And here's the explanations, if you don't know them:

Roomsize: Uhh, well, self exlanatory. But not always accurate.
Reverb Time: Sort of how long the reverb is stretched out.
Damping: How quick the reverb is cut off.
Input Bandwidth: I think that's what range of volume a sound must be in to be included in the reverb.
Dry Signal Level: How loud the original recording is, 0 being the same as before.
Early Reflection Level: This is how loud the first part of the reverb is. It can be used to make a small tunnel sort of reverb.
Tail Level: How loud the last part of the reverb is. It's the part that slowly fades away. Unless you cut it off with the damping.

Enjoy! :P

Last edited by Kristos on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Look in the stickied guidelines post for the ftp password/login

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:45 pm 

I am sooo frustrated. I finaly figure out how to save my clips to mp3, and I can't figure out how to get them to you. I even upgraded my explorer, and that doesn't work. I even downloaded that coffee cup thingy, but couldn't figure out how to make it work. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm about 99% computer iliterate, and my brain's starting to smoke.

Is there a way I can get them on here in a post?

HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

You're browsing the web using Internet Explorer, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:27 am 
Site Admin

eternalbro wrote:
KittyR wrote:
eternalbro wrote:

Ooooooh, now THAT'S a praise clip I want to hear!! Do you still have it?

Nope... I deleted it,cause I don't know how to save them. But once I figure it out, I'll try again.

:( Awww, Ron .... that would have been the best clip of all! One of my favorite clips saved from C&F somewhere is Erik (Tully) Tullberg playing "Jesus Loves Me" on the whistle while one of his little ones sings along.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next