Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: PWA woes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:01 am 

Hmmmmmm.................. Received another weird post from (mixspammer) with a differant language. There was also a link that I did not click. PWA member list grows every day with names that have zero posts? 8-[
Some friends here have gone to Facebook, :cry: but a few are still here. :thumbsup:

:wave:

Post subject: Re: PWA woes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

I think jrc is trying to thin the membership rolls but he's the only admin left for an overwhelming task.

Maybe we few who are still here need to hijack the US Marines motto (or 2) "The Few, The Proud" or "Semper Fi".

:salute:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Tommy, do you remember the name of the spammer that the PM was from? I got one from "WilliamSling" and banned him/it. That is one of my few helper powers. It probably doesn't really help much to ban them -- it just feels good to do it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 am 

Judy K wrote:
Tommy, do you remember the name of the spammer that the PM was from? I got one from "WilliamSling" and banned him/it. That is one of my few helper powers. It probably doesn't really help much to ban them -- it just feels good to do it. 8)

The author of my latest PM spam was also ''WilliamSling''. He like all the other new members have 0 posts. So I guess your ban did not stick? I did open it but the gooble gook was unreadable. I did not click on the link. I learned a long time ago not to click on weird links.
However I have not deleted that PM yet.

:wave:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

The ban probably did stick, but the PMs were already sent. The ban stops him from posting as "WilliamSling", but doesn't remove anything from a member's private messages list. The spammer will have to think up a new name & sign up for a new membership next time he wants to bug us. If it had been a post here in Fellowship I can delete those, just not PMs. You can delete the PM and get the gunk gone.

:-'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I got one too... William is no longer with us (if in fact he ever was), nor will anyone from that IP address be joining us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hooray, JRC!

=D> :thumbsup: \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:00 pm 

I'm your newest member and decided not to be one of those who registers but does not post. I live in Kentucky USA and took up the penny whistle last August following my retirement. I've fallen in love with the instrument. Many of the early tunes that I learned were hymns from Whistle and Squeak. I find hymns to be my comfort music and I continue to return to them. I've even played a couple of times at my local church. It's all good! I hope that PWA survives and I thank all of those who contribute to this site.

By the way, I just ordered a Doug Tipple D flute and look forward trying hymns on it when it arrives in a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 am 
Site Admin

Dan wrote:
I'm your newest member and decided not to be one of those who registers but does not post. I live in Kentucky USA and took up the penny whistle last August following my retirement. I've fallen in love with the instrument. Many of the early tunes that I learned were hymns from Whistle and Squeak. I find hymns to be my comfort music and I continue to return to them. I've even played a couple of times at my local church. It's all good! I hope that PWA survives and I thank all of those who contribute to this site.

By the way, I just ordered a Doug Tipple D flute and look forward trying hymns on it when it arrives in a few days.

GREETINGS DAN!! thanks for your intro post - not trying to be legalistic, just looking out for the board.

Happy you're here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
Dan wrote:

GREETINGS DAN!! thanks for your intro post - not trying to be legalistic, just looking out for the board.

Happy you're here!

Dan - I think you're all set. Posts should appear without the need for moderation. If you have a problem PM me and I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Dan - Welcome to PWA! Nice to see someone from my part of the States. I live about 25 miles from Ashland, KY on the Ohio side of the river.

Doug Tipple makes a very nice flute. Hope you have fun with it. My favorite flute is a folk flute by Casey Burns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 am 

Welcome, Dan!

Mark

Whistle and Squeak: Folk, Traditional, Hymns, and Carols with Pennywhistle Tablature and Sound Files