Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Good News! I'm on the worship team!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:19 am 

Forgot to tell you . . . but as of Easter, I'm officially on one of our teams. Every third week I get to not only preach but play whistle as well. I was concerned at first that it might involve too much of me up front . . . but I think I can do so without it being showy.

This is truly a dream come true! It is such an honor to worship with others, especially by whistle!

Any tips you have on playing well with others are appreciated . . .

Post subject: Re: Good News! I'm on the worship team!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Randy wrote:
Forgot to tell you . . . but as of Easter, I'm officially on one of our teams. Every third week I get to not only preach but play whistle as well. I was concerned at first that it might involve too much of me up front . . . but I think I can do so without it being showy.

This is truly a dream come true! It is such an honor to worship with others, especially by whistle!

Any tips you have on playing well with others are appreciated . . .

Woohoo!!
:party:

Congratulations - and as a worship leader, thanks for you willingness to play and your concerns.

Just listen to the vocals and play around them - that'll get you in the ballpark. You'll get a feel for things as you go. It's tough on an instrument to learn when NOT to play - still working on that, but it comes with experience. You'll do fine. I'd suggest recording so you can listen later and make decisions about what you like or don't like without being distracted during worship. It's like game films.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

\:D/ Congratulations, Randy!

Can't offer advice - my church doesn't have a musical worship team. Just remember that it is to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord". In tune is not mentioned. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

jrc is so right! Listen, listen, listen. Now more than ever, you are playing with your ears as well as your breath and fingers. Whistle is an accent instrument, so the good news is you get more breaks than most others. But when the music calls for whistle, use it to draw attention to God.

And relax. Enjoy! Woo-Hoo!!!

Adjusting your music to what's happening around you is supposed to be really good for your brain, so, yeah! There's that too.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:13 pm 

Wonderful that you've 'officially' joined the worship team. What Jim and Connie said certainly holds.

I think that wind instruments can add substantially to worship, but I am biased. I could go into some additional detail as to what I've come to over the years; don't know if you are looking for anything more specific, Randy.

I've found that there are definite times to just not play. Most of the time, I'm playing flute. I tend to play lower pitched notes which fit within the chord structure to add to the 'body' of sound, without distracting or sticking out, except when playing occasional melodic lines or when something flows forth. There are times I will also play back and forth with the vocals.

We play with microphones, and I trust in our sound folks to properly balance the sound, even though they sometimes boost my volume more than I would, if it were up to me. Our worship leader will often signal either to play forth or to stop playing. (We've joked some about shock collars for this purpose, with one shock for 'play' and two shocks for 'stop.)

Done rambling for now. If you'd like something more, we can do some back and forth here. May His praises ring forth!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

jimwasson wrote:
(We've joked some about shock collars for this purpose, with one shock for 'play' and two shocks for 'stop")

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 am 
Site Admin

ConnieS wrote:
jimwasson wrote:
(We've joked some about shock collars for this purpose, with one shock for 'play' and two shocks for 'stop")

:shock:

One shock should suffice - whichever you're doing at that time, do the other thing. :thumbsup: :laughing:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 am 
PWA Founder

Randy,
We met 15 years ago and your whistle blessed me and others then.
What would be different now?
You need no advice, but
IF it were up to me to give it,
This is what it would be: Be yourself!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 pm 

Wow has it been that long ago? Been a fun 15 years Mack and you have been a blessing through them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:14 pm 

One of my favorite musical combinations is a flute/cello duet. As I play hymns now I find myself going back to the Methodist hymns of my youth. I also find myself slipping into bluegrass numbers. Right now I am playing "the little old log cabin in the lane. I was into bluegrass long before Irish music and 5 string before whistle. It's good to see people coming back here.

Psalms 118:24