Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Welcoming New Whistles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 am 

Its been awhile since I've added a new child to the family, but recently, I've added two. The first was quite serendipitous. We were sight seeing on the Oregon coast with some friends and found a quaint music store in Canon Beach. And inside were a few whistles. I walked out with an Oak in D. The Oak was fine, but was transformed when I removed its head and added a White Cap by our own Mack. It became an instrument with pure notes and pleasing sound. Especially in the upper register.

Then, our music coordinator asked if I could help with a special song for Christmas . . . and of course, I was in. However, it featured a really high part on the D whistle (upper Cnat, upper D, and even upper E). I pulled out my trusty Silkstone Alloy and found it could play it in tune, but not without wounding those nearby. Ouch! So I began searching for another option.

I ended up purchasing a Carbony lead tone whistle in D. Tis very nice indeed. Love its tone and feel. I'll be selling the Silkstone, which is a dream whistle in many ways, to pay for the Carbony. However, the Carbony couldn't handle the high notes of the Christmas tune. Argh!

But then I remembered the White Cap . . . while not as robust as either the Silkstone or Carbony, the White Cap does a wonderful job on the Christmas tune! Pure without being piercing. I can safely play the notes knowing I'll not be hurting any living creatures in the process. Mack to the rescue, again!

Post subject: Re: Welcoming New Whistles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 am 
Site Admin

Mack made the sweetest whistles I own. My 'go-to' whistle for testing tunes in the collapsible D whistle he made. One of my biggest regrets (whistle-wise) was not getting the same whistle in C.

I own one PVC whistle by Mack that I seem to recall as being exceptional sweet. My niece "borrowed" it years ago and it hasn't made it's way home yet ... :-k :lol:

Randy, check carefully the current going price for the Silkstone before selling. A couple of years ago, I was offered a 100% of original cost plus a little side gift -- and it wasn't the Silkstone the buyer was actually wanting.

Post subject: Re: Welcoming New Whistles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I can safely play the notes knowing I'll not be hurting any living creatures in the process.

:laughing: I hear ya (not literally. lol). I feel really self conscious trying to play whistle in prayer services. I'm thinking my low d sounds like a train whistle in a quiet room.