Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Got Uke?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:16 pm 

Just curious . . . how many out there play ukulele?

Got my first one for Christmas along with some lessons. What a fun instrument!

Post subject: Re: Got Uke?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a long time ago but I have a baritone uke buried somewhere deep in a closet. A tuner started slipping and I didn't know enough then to replace it. Think I was about 19 - probably played around with it 7-8 years, just chording and singing mostly folk music. The uke was my first stringed instrument, unless piano counts as a stringed critter.

Which size do you have, Randy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm 

Thanks for asking . . . I have ended up with two. I started off with a soprano and really like it. However I found a used one via craigslist that is an oversized concert. It seems a lot easier to learn on. So, my wife has taken to the soprano.

As a left handed person, I’ve always struggled with stringed instruments. Never could get my right hand to cooperate. So I decided there was no harm in stringing the Uke for a lefty.

So here’s what I’ve learned
1. A lot of folks look at you funny, like really? You’ve restrung it?
2. It does feel more natural.
3. My right hand is still belligerent.
4. My left hand is less belligerent than it’s cousin, but it too has a mind of its own.
5. Music is just a hoot, even as you learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

It is always better to go with what works, not what "they" say is right. If re-stringing it works -- YEAH! :thumbsup:

Enjoying the music is the goal. Hope you have a blast with the uke!

Maybe you need a dulcimer? No bending your hands in unfamiliar ways to fret; looking at the fret board to find the note; can be diatonic or chromatic or any combination in between.

:wave:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 am 

No, I dont have a Uke. I do have a cello with a dulcimer fret board that I mounted on it. Plays just like a dulcimer in super bass. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Tommy wrote:
No, I dont have a Uke. I do have a cello with a dulcimer fret board that I mounted on it. Plays just like a dulcimer in super bass. :D

That has to sound fantastic, Tommy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Randy wrote:
Thanks for asking . . . I have ended up with two. I started off with a soprano and really like it. However I found a used one via craigslist that is an oversized concert. It seems a lot easier to learn on. So, my wife has taken to the soprano.

As a left handed person, I’ve always struggled with stringed instruments. Never could get my right hand to cooperate. So I decided there was no harm in stringing the Uke for a lefty.

So here’s what I’ve learned
1. A lot of folks look at you funny, like really? You’ve restrung it?
2. It does feel more natural.
3. My right hand is still belligerent.
4. My left hand is less belligerent than it’s cousin, but it too has a mind of its own.
5. Music is just a hoot, even as you learn.

Well done, make the instrument work for you! We were talking about lefty guitars after church Sunday - do you think it sounds the same as right-handed? I was thinking some guitar chord voicings were cooler on lefty's, but I'm not sure the guitar was restrung left.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

Thanks. For the encouragement!

Learning can be so much fun especially when you’ve got friends rooting you on.

And Tommy, your cello sounds pretty cool. Anyway you could post a picture?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
Well done, make the instrument work for you! We were talking about lefty guitars after church Sunday - do you think it sounds the same as right-handed? I was thinking some guitar chord voicings were cooler on lefty's, but I'm not sure the guitar was restrung left.

jrc, you've got me curious, and possibly confused. Why would chords sound different depending on right or left handed ... playing? (or is it tuning? picking direction?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:31 am 
Site Admin

Judy K wrote:
jrc wrote:

jrc, you've got me curious, and possibly confused. Why would chords sound different depending on right or left handed ... playing? (or is it tuning? picking direction?)

If you just flip the guitar - right handed stringing playing left handed - it appears you're able to make different chord shapes (voicings) because of where your fingers can reach on the fret board. It seems more pronounced sometimes than others - maybe some players make use of it and some don't, idk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:39 am 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
Judy K wrote:
jrc wrote:

If you just flip the guitar - right handed stringing playing left handed - it appears you're able to make different chord shapes (voicings) because of where your fingers can reach on the fret board. It seems more pronounced sometimes than others - maybe some players make use of it and some don't, idk.

After some quick reading I'm thinking I may be all wrong. Albert King flipped a guitar without restringing but for the most part it seems leftys use the same shapes as right-handed players. I'm going to dig in to this a little more but it's possible I was listening with my eyes. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

jrc wrote:
jrc wrote:
Judy K wrote:
jrc wrote:

After some quick reading I'm thinking I may be all wrong. Albert King flipped a guitar without restringing but for the most part it seems leftys use the same shapes as right-handed players. I'm going to dig in to this a little more but it's possible I was listening with my eyes. :roll:

:lol: I trust your ears to hear just fine, jrc. Since guessing is allowed, my guess is that left-handed players could be inventing chords of their own that righties never try because they have all those charts to say what is "proper". One thing I've found with my lack of formal musical education is that I'll play around on the frets trying to find what sounds 'right' to my ears. Don't have a clue as to what that chord may be after finding it. I just scribble down the notation where I want it and move on.

On left-handed vs right-handed playing, I've always felt that lefties should be at an advantage on string instruments. It seems (to me) that the left hand has more work to do in finding the proper notes than the right hand does in strumming. (Unless you play like Tommy Emmanuel. ;) )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm 

Randy wrote:
Tommy, your cello sounds pretty cool. Anyway you could post a picture?

OK, here is a link.

[img][img]https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2018/02/04/Photoon2-3-18at9.28PM.jpg[/img]Uploaded at Snapagogo.com/img]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 pm 

Here is a vidio over six years ago.

https://vimeo.com/254249310

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am 

Wow! That’s great Tommy.

Really amazing!

Mack made my wife a cello-banjo.

I’ll try to post some pictures tonight of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm 

Randy wrote:
Mack made my wife a cello-banjo.
I’ll try to post some pictures tonight of it.

I bet it sounds good.

I put a banjo neck on an 18'' bodhran but the skin was to floppy for a banjo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:48 pm 

I have a Kala S and a Kala T. I really like the tenor. It has the right spread for my fingers. However I am starting to learn harmonica. I am buying a Hohner special 20 in C. I have been learning on an antique Gondola. Ron

Psalms 118:24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm 

That's super Ron. I have a soprano and concert. Maybe some day in the deep dark future I'll add a tenor.

I just discovered an incredible book: Arpeggio Meditations for Ukulele by Daniel Ward. Oh my. Its just what I was looking for. Wowzer. Gonna take some time, but they are beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm 

When I lived in Croatia I had a soprano uke but gave it away as I was spending most of my music time playing whistles and flutes.

However, I am quite tempted to purchase an 8-string tenor and may get one later this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 pm 
PWA Founder

Those tenor ukes have a nice sound.

My daughter bought a soprano in Hawaii a couple of summers ago. She played it for a couple of weeks. It sits in my music room, unplayed, and practically begs me to learn it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:04 pm 

Go for it Connie. You will learn it in no time. They are really fun. Ron

Psalms 118:24