Login    
   Praise Whistlers Abroad
   Home Page: praisewhistlers.org
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Jump to:  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RonKiley
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:27 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Here's Sweet Hour of Prayer from RonKiley.

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nKiley.mp3

He writes:
    I played it on an untweaked Generation C. It has some recording noise that I couldn't get rid of. It was worse in the MP3 than in the original.

Ron
Man oh man, that's pretty, Ron! And it's the best non-tweaked Gen C I've ever heard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:00 pm 

Thanks! Most of my whistles are untweaked. One secret to playing an untweaked Gen or any other cheapie is to use less breath than you think you need. It is sometimes difficult for people who play high back pressure whistles to ease up enough. Feadog is another that takes less pressure than you think.

I think I am going to get a sound card. I am using the sound built in to the mother board. I think it is causing some of my recording problems.

I love everybodies playing. It is really interesting to see how each of us has a slightly different take on the hymns.

Psalms 118:24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="Blackhawk"]Um...no, I'm not...but I don't want you to feel bad for coaching me. I'm okay with that (and grateful that you took the time to help out)...but a little shyer now than I was before about posting here. :)
[quote]

Oh, wow, Blackhawk!! I'm really sorry. I wish I'd never said anything--it never was my intention to cause anybody to be shy about posting. I've been enjoying everything here.

I apologize to everyone, and especially Shadoes, who probably made our purpose here clear but I didn't quite get it. And Blackhawk, who was on the receiving end of my "help." I know that over at Whistle This, they offer suggestions. I thought we were supposed to try to do that here, just keep it all encouraging and upbeat. I tried to do that. But now that I think about it, nobody ever said that was a purpose here. We're just showing our different interpretations, am I right? Sorry!!!!! :oops:

Sorry, Blackhawk.

Tonal quality: You know how when you first get a whistle, you squeak and squawk on it, until you start getting the notes to sound pretty good? Then a few months later the notes sound even better? It's just that not all folks out there make the effort to make the notes sound even better, and it seems like you do. It weren't just meaningless flattery...it just sounded good to me. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

Oh, wow, Blackhawk!! I'm really sorry. I wish I'd never said anything--it never was my intention to cause anybody to be shy about posting. I've been enjoying everything here.

I apologize to everyone, And Blackhawk, who was on the receiving end of my "help."
Sorry, Blackhawk.
Oh, Connie, now I feel bad! You are a total sweetheart, Connie. I mean that from the bottom of my heart! You have proven that more than once, to me for sure and I'm sure to everyone else, too. For the benefit of everyone here, I want to say publicly that a few months ago Connie sent me a PM saying "Would you like a free O'Brien whistle?" And true to her word, she sent me an O'Brien combo, Bb and Eb for free. I love that whistle. I just want to take this opportunity now to say thank you in the open forum.

As for your helpful hints, they are right on the money, Connie. My timing is terrible. But the bottom line is, I have zero musical talent. None. It's a miracle I can put two notes together. My son got all his talent from his mom's side, not mine. I never played anything resembling an instrument until age 46 or 47, and then only the whistle. But I do love to hear good music, specifically whistle with a Christian emphasis. So I love listening to it and pretending to play it. And I'll continue to play just for myself. I will probably continue posting clips here, but no one should expect my playing to sound anything like competent. It never will. But I'll fumble along as long as all of you know not to expect them to sound normal. :laughing:

Connie, when we are in Heaven together, and my mind isn't "musically blocked" I'll look forward to playing a duet with you. :mrgreen: In the mean time, I may be a little shy, but you haven't run me out of here yet. :) And God bless you for caring enough to try to help me (an impossible mission).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

If I might be so bold as to quote myself :)

Quote:
1) Each song will be up for two weeks. Or should I say a new song will be posted approximately every two weeks. It is my intention to leave the old songs up as long as we have space I will post the sheetmusic for the melody and a midi or mp3 of the same. I will then start a new thread in the TPE Forum for each new song.

2) Be courteous and encouraging. Not everyone's whistling style will be to your liking. Follow the old rule if you can't say something nice (or in a nice way) don't say anything at all. Our aim here is to encourage the sharing of styles and interpretations of the songs posted.

3) Play the songs how you like. If you want to add synth back beats, loops etc. Do your thang If you want to put up just the whistle track.. that's awesome too. There is no right or wrong. Music is a wonderful medium that is open to many different views. By learning to appreciate well done styles outside of our preferred style we ALL become stronger.

4) Do NOT EVER... let me repeat that DO NOT EVER feel like you should not post a clip or that your clip is not good enough. There are all levels of playing here and I hope to see ALL levels of playing participating in TPE

Soooooo constructive comments and encouragements are perfectly fine and welcomed. For my part I do not expect everyone to like everything I play. And that is good. I don't expect to like everything that others play. Now that is to mean "LIKE" in a stylistic sense. good playing is good playing even when one doesn't really like the style. For example i don't particularly care for Prince's music but I would never call him untalented.

ANYWAY... all that to say please don't think you cannot express an opinion on someone playing or offer a suggestion that might help them out.

But as with any advice it is up to the advisee to either take that advice or not. :) :) So on the same token don't be discouraged if a player chooses not to follow your advice. Something I know I can have difficulties with on occasion myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:56 pm 

Personally, I can't wait for the next song for us to learn! I know we have to wait til your computer gets fixed, Ed, but I'm excited to move forward. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:40 am 

I have no problem with anyone giving me advice. But remember I may not take it or be capable of taking it. I am also ready for the next hymn. After all it will take me 2 weeks to learn it. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Blackhawk wrote:
Connie, when we are in Heaven together, and my mind isn't "musically blocked" I'll look forward to playing a duet with you. :mrgreen:

I'll take you up on that!! :sunny2:

Can't wait to whistle without losing breath, dance without gravity, and do both at the same time!!

Think there's any chocolate in heaven?

Maybe a Praise Exchange reunion.

BTW, Blackhawk, you're welcome on the O'Briens. And for the record, Blackhawk kindly returned the favor by giving me a Susato A. And I'm enjoying learning to play that thing. Thanks, Blackhawk!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:21 pm 

We could get together and call the group Le Ensemble Chocolate.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:47 pm 

ConnieS wrote:

Think there's any chocolate in heaven?
As long as there's coffee, I'll be happy. :)

Quote:
BTW, Blackhawk, you're welcome on the O'Briens. And for the record, Blackhawk kindly returned the favor by giving me a Susato A. And I'm enjoying learning to play that thing. Thanks, Blackhawk!!
My pleasure, Connie. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:08 am 

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I just recorded 'Sweet Hour of Prayer'. It's not my best, but it is the one with the least back ground noise.

God Bless,
Ron

P.S. My timing's a little off too. (Guess I forgot to tap my feet :mrgreen: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

After a few technical difficulties, we finally have Ron's clip:

"I used my Hoover d praise whistle. I found a somewhat quiet time, and just did it in one take, before the kids got loud again." :P

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... nalbro.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Oooh, Ron!! I like that slide down. That's hard to do.

The kids sound nice, too. More kid sounds would have been okay with me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Actually I kind of like the timing on this one, Ron. People have been talking about how the Irish aires are played with one's own interpretation of how they would sing it rather than a strict tempo, and I think that really fits your version of this hymn. You could have taken even more liberty with the tempo for this one; it works well.

Kitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:11 am 

ConnieS wrote:
Oooh, Ron!! I like that slide down. That's hard to do.

The kids sound nice, too. More kid sounds would have been okay with me. :D

Thanks Connie, I really enjoy the way you play, and have heard you do things that I can't even begin to figure out how to do. The way you go so smoothly from note to note, with kind of a sliding up sound.I haven't figured that one out yet.

As for the kids, maybe I can get them to sing along on a song. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 am 

KittyR wrote:
Actually I kind of like the timing on this one, Ron. People have been talking about how the Irish aires are played with one's own interpretation of how they would sing it rather than a strict tempo, and I think that really fits your version of this hymn. You could have taken even more liberty with the tempo for this one; it works well.

Kitty

Thank you too Kitty,
As a singer, I tend to play all of my songs the way I would sing them. (unless it's a song I'm not very familiar with)

Ron

Post subject: JudyK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Hey guys,

Here's another clip from Judy:

"played on a Reyburn Low G, with a Finale midi of harp & whistle. I've had this one done for weeks, just too lazy .. er busy to get it in. 8) "

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _JudyK.mp3

Post subject: Re: JudyK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:20 pm 

KittyR wrote:
Hey guys,

Here's another clip from Judy:

"played on a Reyburn Low G, with a Finale midi of harp & whistle. I've had this one done for weeks, just too lazy .. er busy to get it in. 8) "

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _JudyK.mp3
I went to "Bump" this tune to keep it alive in case someone wants to record it too.

Then I found Judy's clip that I think I'd missed. Nice work -- very restful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Keith. This is one of my favorite songs. I have a dulcimer version of this recorded ... was thinking about adding it. If there is time, I'll upload it and send Connie a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:27 am 

It would sound heavenly on a CB flute and harp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:

:lol:

But I don't have it already done on the CB flute and the harp .... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 am 

Judy K wrote:
Adrian wrote:

:lol:

But I don't have it already done on the CB flute and the harp .... 8)

But we have faith. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Judy hath played us a dulcimer version:

http://praisewhistlers.org/exchange/son ... _judyk.mp3

She says:

Quote:
I've added another song -- "Sweet Hour of Prayer", using an arrangement from Hymns of Faith by Larry Conger (with a few minor modifications) played on the Prussia Valley baritone dulcimer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 am 

Judy
Very nice as always. I won't persecute you and say it would be much nicer on your heavenly sounding harp. ;) :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I need some practice, recording & tweaking/editing time, Adrian .... we'll see what happens.

BTW, I did just happen to find a harp arrangement for "When Morning Gilds the Skies" .....

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next