New Harmonica

Sharing life, laughter and a love for praising God with Irish whistle and related instruments.

Moderator: The Team

RonKiley

New Harmonica

Post by RonKiley »

I decided to buy a new harp. But not like the usual ones. I bought a Hohner melody maker. The difference Is that it is not tuned to the usual Richter tuning but to an equal temperament. This means that it plays a “regular” scale not the modified scale of the usual harmonica. I bought the Hohner because it was cheaper. I usual play Lee Oskar harps. I absolutely love it. I will probably buy a Lee Oskar in the same tuning. This is better for melodies the regular is better for chords.
Ron
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalms 118:24

Judy K
Site Admin

Re: New Harmonica

Post by Judy K »

When I was trying to play harmonicas my weapon of destruction (of ear drums) was always a Hohner, mainly the Golden Melody line. Think the collection of Goldens were in the keys of C, D, & G .... maybe F and A, plus 1 or 2 of the Marine Band type. Looking at today's prices, I can almost regret giving them all away. :-k

Enjoy the new instrument, Ron. I would be jealous as no new instruments have landed here lately. However a beautiful, portable, adjustable, oak dulcimer stand (for playing) has been added to the collection this year. Life is good!

... added -thinking of you, Ron, and your music brought the lyrics of one of my favorite songs from the 'way-back' machine to mind:

"I could just sit around making music all day long
As long as I'm making my music ain't gonna do nobody no harm
And who knows maybe I'll come up with a song
To make people want to stop all this fussing and fighting
Long enough to sing along"

Anyone recognize the song or the writer or the singer?

Randy

Re: New Harmonica

Post by Randy »

That sounds really great Ron. A new instrument day is always a good day! Hope it works out well.