PWA simular forum?

Sharing life, laughter and a love for praising God with Irish whistle and related instruments.

Moderator: The Team

Tommy

PWA simular forum?

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmmm....... :-k I have been searching for another forum that would be similar to PWA but not found anything yet. Looked at indext C&F saw two that might be ok.
Also noticed that C&F appears to fund itself by selling ad space.
Hmmmmm....... Just had a thought.

Judy K
Site Admin

Re: PWA simular forum?

Post by Judy K »

There is no place quite like PWA, my friend! [-(

But here's a few other choices:

Trad Connect

Reddit/Tin Whistle Did not realize Reddit had pages like this!

Penny Whistle Club

Chiff and Fipple Might be a familiar site. ;)

These came up in a Bing search. (I won't use Google) Sadly, PWA did not show up within the 3 search pages perused.

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Judy K wrote:There is no place quite like PWA, my friend! [-(

But here's a few other choices:

Penny Whistle Club
Hmmmmm............ :-k I know.........

I looked at the Penny Whiste Club and it was interesting. Not sure they could handle my humor in their thread ''Whats your Favorite Whistle made Of''? :roll:
My favorite whistle is made of a vibrating air column shaped by a tube. :laughing:

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

Nice way to define any whistle ever! :thumbsup:

The Penny Whistle Club is owned by the same lady that has the Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer forum. Both are nowhere near as easy to navigate as here and C&F, IMO. I think Mack is a member. Maybe he can offer some insight about the forum. I can say that Strumelia plays many instruments, including a limberjack.

mack
PWA Founder

Post by mack »

Tommy your whistle humor resonates with me!
Judy the pennywhistle club isn't the same at all.
Definitely not as easy and free.
If we do remake the PWA
My choice would be an interactive website
Without all the emoticons and buttons to click
I usually only go to the main page where we talk and share
all the additional forums need a huge hmmmmmmm……. :-({|=
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

No emoticons!!?? :shock: [-(

Gee whiz, Mack, not sure I can even type without smileys. :mrgreen:

There are several of the other forums here that could probably be eliminated if everyone agreed .... all 8 or 12 of us. Fellowship seems to be the only spot used now. I would like to keep the Praise Exchange simply for all the music (those that still have working links) and the discussions from members no longer here ... and the Poetry Archive, which contains several excellent poetry pieces by a fellow I'm pretty fond of.

I used to visit FOTMD (dulcimer equivalent of the Penny Whistle Club) a bit when it first started. Just couldn't really find interesting topics easily, plus some of the postings seemed to need read from the bottom up. Having never seen that in any other forum, it was very confusing. I never felt 'comfortable' there, yet feel 'at home' here.

:salute:

jrc
Site Admin

Post by jrc »

PWA isn't done yet, but if there's no interest in continuing this would be a good time to say so to avoid any unnecessary fees for hosting and avoiding the waste of efforts on the folks who are assisting in the move.

Not a scolding, just don't want to take advantage of those who are helping in the effort.
Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.
Habbakuk 2:4

mack
PWA Founder

Post by mack »

I never intend to diminish anyone's contributions or insult anyone!
I started the original "PWA" without even that name.
My purpose was to acknowledge folks who like the use of the whistle in church
and personal devotion to Jesus.
It was nothing more than identifying them on the C&F
and PMing or emailing them.
Selling whistles on Ebay posting on C&F supported
my hobby of making whistles.

A brief history of why I started making whistles:
I heard a flute playing at a healing service and folks were getting healed
with no word being said just the sound of the flute.
I said "this is for me" so I bought a secondhand flute
and began playing it in the praise band (without the same results needless to say)
But it did stir a flute player to join and I went back to the mandolin.
Then I began to hear another sound in praise music which turned out to be a whistle.
So I bought one and began to annoy everyone.
It was brash and shrill and I was determined to tame it by making versions of my own.
The birth of the quiet whistle.
And an obsessive hobby.
Everything long and hollow was a potential whistle.
Even some things weren't hollow that I could make hollow.
I have become a lot more sensible!!
Make good whistles and never demean anyone elses'.
Or compete. Make a quiet whistle that makes a novice less annoying.

One goal was make every tenth whistle a "Praise Whistle". (the first two words in PWA)
And get whistles into the hands of praise whistlers. They were all around the globe.

The other nine whistles constituted a profitable hobby
Which the Chiff and Fipple nourished for a season.

Everything that the PWA is has come about from contributions of praise whistlers
who are also talented in a lot of other ways. Thus it grew and diversified.

I like it...no I love it! I will do what is needed. Living alone allows me to contribute financially.
Yes I will pay the bill. And make suggestions without any way of incorporating them into the process.

So TEAM keep persisting!
Mack

mack
PWA Founder

Post by mack »

"feel 'at home' here"

Couldn't have said it better!

Feeling fuel for...
forming a future forum
Of keeping the one we have :) :D ;) :lol: \:D/ :wave: :sunny2:

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

mack wrote:"feel 'at home' here"
Couldn't have said it better!
Feeling fuel for...
forming a future forum
Of keeping the one we have :) :D ;) :lol: \:D/ :wave: :sunny2:

Hmmmmmm.............. :-k 8-[ Keeping :thumbsup: =D> the one we have with Fellowship :party: \:D/ :-({|= =D> at the top. Several of the others could be retired. :?: :sleepy:

:arrow: This one :laughing: remindes me of Jim.

:wave:

jrc
Site Admin

Post by jrc »

I never intend to diminish anyone's contributions or insult anyone!
Hey Mack, never meant to imply you were, only that if we had resigned ourselves to saying goodbye we should do so prior to any further investment of time and $$.

Really ... REALLY... glad to see you guys would like to carry on. I've been working on that premise. that said:

Dana has given me ownership of the domain so it can be moved to a second server. Joelle's husband in an IT person and has graciously offered to help in the move.

As to the actual costs of registering and hosting the domain I am clueless. Maybe Dana or Connie can weigh in there. Due to work - or rather lack of it - I can't contribute financially but happy to help elsewhere wherever I can. It's my understanding we have until the end of December to move the site. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

Mack, I think your post on the creation of PWA should be framed and permanently enthroned on the opening page of the forum. It is beautiful!

:love:

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

JRC, here is a link I found on rehosting a phpBB website. The writer also has a post with recommendations of hosting sites. On one of the sites recommended, there is a chart comparing their offered plans.

Another search found 2019's Best "Forum Hosting" Providers, which lists the hosting site linked above as their #1 site. This is kinda creepily strange considering I picked SiteGround at random.

In my earlier searches, it seemed to say the hosting sites require a full year as a first payment. Not finding that info right now and my search time is limited at the moment. (Life interferes a lot!) I suspect that Joelle's husband might have some ideas on what might be needed.

Here's a strange question ... if Dana has made you the new owner, is it required to move to PWA to a new host? Can we just pay what's due and stay put?

jrc
Site Admin

Post by jrc »

if Dana has made you the new owner, is it required to move to PWA to a new host? Can we just pay what's due and stay put?
In theory I suppose we could, but Dana's has expressed a pretty low opinion of Site5 and the board software is so old we have to update to some degree anyway, so ...

All that said, I'm inclined to let Joelle and her husband weigh in on that, given it's their area of expertise.

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

jrc wrote:
if Dana has made you the new owner, is it required to move to PWA to a new host? Can we just pay what's due and stay put?
In theory I suppose we could, but Dana's has expressed a pretty low opinion of Site5 and the board software is so old we have to update to some degree anyway, so ...

All that said, I'm inclined to let Joelle and her husband weigh in on that, given it's their area of expertise.
Sounds good, jrc! :salute:

Joelle

Post by Joelle »

jrc wrote:

Hey I'm sorry for the delay here, for the last few weeks we've been experiencing a lot of that "life interference" that you mentioned, Judy. My husband had already checked a few things out but now that the site ownership has been transferred to JRC we should be able to make a recommendation by sometime tonight

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

\:D/ :sunny2:

Joelle

Post by Joelle »

I messaged Judy and Jim about the details for this, if y'all didn't get the PM let me know, I couldn't tell if it sent properly or not. :)

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

Just sent a reply, Joelle.

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

=D> =D> =D> \:D/

:wave:

Judy K
Site Admin

Post by Judy K »

Joelle, jrc, will you please check your messages?