Susanne
Site Admin

Forum updated

Hi all, I can now announce that the one-click update from my hosting panel worked as I thought! With the old setup, if I'd had the right permissions, I would have had to download and upload files manually. Very much something I didn't want to do, and also that nobody should have to do in 2022. Now when the forum is installed using a one-click installer, it can also be updated that way and I'm very happy about that.

We are now updated to version 3.3.7. Apparently, I missed the 3.3.6 version, which was no loss because it had a weird issue with user permission.

However, updating with the one-click tool seems to remove all custom theme files!! I came to a horrible white page and thought something was seriously wrong, but found the error and could use the theme files from the backup.

Very annoying but at least now I know it for the next time.
jimwasson

Re: Forum updated

Glad it works easily, and that you understand how to make this work. Thanks!
Judy K

Congrats on the easy update, Susanne!

Thanks for the rescue, too. However, I have been required to re-enter a password 7 times (so far) to simply post. I dislike extensive password requirements; I hate requiring multiple entries of extensive passwords; this time fails, I'm done.

Added: Looks like I'm sticking around for now. ;)
Susanne
Site Admin

That's strange, Judy, that it asks you to login again and again. Did you click the checkbox "remember me" or whatever it says, where you log in? For now, the only requirements are 10 characters and including letters and numbers, so you should be able to pick something that's easy to remember. Sadly this is the reality of the modern internet. It's all because we want our forum to not get in trouble because someone hacks an account (which is too easy with simple passwords).
This is not usually recommended, but if your browser asks you to save the password you could say yes. At least something that helps.
Judy K

Susanne, I'm not sure why my log-in has suddenly became problematic. If I click 'remember me' it will give an invalid password or username warning at least once, usually twice, even when both are correct. On the third attempt a captcha says it will be required. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't. My slow internet could be part of the reason. Rural areas in the USA are a final frontier for decent wi-fi.

The 10-digit password works okay, although it did take two tries to sign in today. It was the 12 digit, totally random mix you sent that had to be used so many times. Patience is a virtue that I can spell, define, and sometimes practice. After 4 attempts my temper rises exponentially. (I blame my Irish & Native American ancestors. ;) )

Return to “Mingle and chat”