Susanne
Site Admin

Hi everyone, how are things?

I apologise that I've been so absent recently. I've just been so busy and overwhelmed with different things. But hopefully I'm now coming out at the other end of the tunnel... or something like it.

We just came back today from a weekend in Dingle. And this evening I joined the third lesson in a workshop to study the guitar style of Doc Watson. That's a good busy. I'm totally fascinated with all the crazy stuff that man did on the guitar! Now on the third lesson we're digging into some fiddle tunes and this is the first time I will be able to learn more than just some licks. The other material has been a lot of extra special rhythm patterns and now knowing how to not twist one's fingers, along with very useful licks that I've been able to learn. Anyway, it's a lot of fun and very interesting to learn more about Doc Watson's playing than the fingerpicking style of "Deep river blues".

Dingle offered some nice trad sessions, we listened do some good concertina, guitar, and flute playing last night.

Have you been up to something nice lately?
jimwasson

Re: Hi everyone, how are things?

Sounds like quite the musical adventure, between Dingle and the new lessons. Glad that you're engaged in this pursuit.

We're moving toward having a temporary ramp installed at my Dad's condominium, as it's getting to be very taxing for him to climb the steps. It has taken some time to get approval from the board of the condominium association, but that has now been obtained.

At my home, I've put tomato plants (started from seed) into the ground, with various peppers nearly ready to also be planted. We've grown a vegetable garden in the same area for about 40 years, although it's a little smaller than at first.

Making slow progress at playing the flute, with the tone produced not entirely consistent. (With the saxophone or clarinet, I can blame the reed for this, but not with the flute.)
Susanne
Site Admin

I took out our tomato plants yesterday! How nice, now our kitchen is a kitchen again, not a forest. 😂

I think whistles and flutes are incredibly hard to play. I played the whistle years ago, when I first joined this forum. I love the instrument but had to give it up because 1. I drool so much when I try to play it and 2. the tone is so hard to get and while it's a fun instrument, I have other instruments. Strings and bellows are my instruments. I still love good whistle or flute playing though!

It's good to hear your dad can get a ramp. What a shame though it's taken such a long time. It should be obvious! You know, people get old, it's normal, etc.

The Doc Watson workshop ended today. it's been a very fascinating and humbling experience! I mean, I've always known he was a great guitar player, but when it came to his flatpicking I've been thinking like "well it sounds fancy but should be doable, mostly some crosspicking stuff .. and so on " but when you get his rhythm playing in detail transcribed in front of you... that's a wow experience. Such complex stuff and there's so much going on that you don't think of when you hear it. Much of the rhythm material has been put aside for now, but I've picked up a lot of phrases, licks and crosspicking concepts to work on. And when I'm ready for it, I have all the printed material along with good instruction videos. Now I won't take any more courses for a while (other than the flatpicking course I'm on continuously, with video material and the possibility to send videos to your teacher) but will settle down, practice, get back on track and prepare our gigs and sessions.
Judy K

I was wondering how your dad was doing, Jim. Glad you got permission for a ramp to his home. I've read horror stories about some HOA's.

Susanne, I had problems with some whistles & flutes, too. Just couldn't seem to overcome the squeaks and squawks of the first brands. Decided to try a Mack Hoover whistle and a Tony Dixon whistle and found out that some whistles didn't squeal at every breath! A Casey Burns flute helped my playablilty majorly. A Dixon flute was being a pain to learn with. Took the Burns folk flute out of the package and played "Amazing Grace" without error! Right now, there are 2 of Mack's whistles, 1 of Tommy's, and the Burn folk flute within reach (with 2 lap dulcimers, too!). I will never be a great musician, but have sure enjoyed the journey so far.
Susanne
Site Admin

I had some Dixon whistles too! They were the only ones I thought were easy to play and reach the second octave. I lent one to a friend and sold one, as I remember. What I have left in terms of whistles is a tweaked Generation that is very nice too, if I'd ever get the idea to try playing again. But I'll very likely stay with guitars and concertinas, that I'm at least in the process of learning.

Return to “Mingle and chat”