Judy K

Re: A nice guitar challenge

Susanne, noter-drone music uses a noter (usually a wooden peg or stick) to play the strings. The most common string set up is to have 2 melody strings, 1 mid-range string, 1 bass string. DAA or DAD are the most used tunings. You use the noter to only play the notes on the melody strings while letting the other strings 'drone'. Some players can really make wonderful music using this style. My attempts make my ears hurt!

This style can have many variations in setup. I never cared for the concept enough to dig deeper than the basics.
Susanne
Site Admin

Oh yes, that's exactly the style I learned! But I used a normal (very soft) flatpick. My dulcimer was DAD and I never got to explore other tunings. It was quite fun and I learned to play Old Joe Clark and something else. Then we moved to Ireland (the first time, in 2008) and I couldn't take it with me. Eventually, I gave the dulcimer to a friend. I'm fine without it now, but it was a very fun instrument to play.
Judy K

'Old Joe Clark' is the only noter-drone style song I can play semi-well, but just use my left thumb to serve as the noter, and a fairly stiff D'Andrea pick for strumming. Thought I should learn at least one tune to demonstrate the different styles, if asked.

Return to “Mingle and chat”