Susanne
Site Admin

Re: Ebenezer

That's beautiful, Jim!! It has a lovely, mellow, medieval sound to it. It's been a long time since I heard some flute or whistle music. I just learned yesterday that a friend of mine, who is a singer and guitar player, is going to start learning to play the tin whistle.

Regarding Brave - it's a lovely browser, I use it for certain things, especially for watching YouTube on my iPad where I can't get it ad-free otherwise. It's built on chromium, the same technology as Chrome but without the tracking, obviously. You can use the same add-ons as for Chrome. I would use it more if the sync (for bookmarks) would work correctly. Maybe if I disable all devices and re-add them it will work. But since I use Mac and Safari has a lot of Mac-specific tools that Brave doesn't have, Safari will remain my favourite browser so far. How weird that the sound file would sound differently in different browsers!

I'm happy to have much less instrument acquisition syndrome these days, I'm so happy with my guitar, and to upgrade concertina I want to become better at playing it first so that I actually play it a lot more regularly. In addition, any better concertina will be so expensive that we really need to think twice, and our money will go to fixing the house and later for travel when possible. However, we're planning to go to Dublin for a weekend later this year and do a spree in guitar shops to test play guitars, just so that I'll know more about what other guitar brands are like!
jimwasson

Thanks, Susanne.

Think you're very wise in seeking to play your current concertina regularly before considering another. Looking for a 'better' instrument can sometimes be a trap. It's good, I think, to be content with what we have. (Although there is a place for additional or 'replacement' instruments.)

Let us know about your time in Dublin. There seems to be an almost infinite number of choices as to guitars. If I were a guitar player, I might be in trouble. Elderly Instruments ( https://www.elderly.com/ ) is two miles from my house.
Susanne
Site Admin

Elderly as neighbour, that sounds bad! :D :D

Oh yes about guitars. But I'm glad that I'm not satisfied with any kind of sound! That makes the selection is a lot smaller. I'm very happy with my D-18 and can't imagine I'd be happy with anything else. We've tried a lot of different guitars in the past when my husband was looking for one, and realised mahogany is the way to go for the sound we like. But I'm interested in trying an older rosewood guitar to see what it's like, I've only tried a new 000-28 (smaller size than the D series but same woods) and I have a new 000-18. I'm, however, very curious to try a 000-18 GE or similar that has adirondack spruce instead of sitka on the top and bottom. I bought the 000 when I started out and had wrecked my left shoulder and wanted to be able to continue playing, and I still love it, but for flatpicking I really prefer a dreadnought. In the future I want to try clawhammer guitar and/or some fingerpicking so the 000 will be great for that.

The Dublin weekend is mainly for fun and exploration, but I might learn something new about another brand I know nothing about!
Judy K

If I lived that close to Elderly, I'd be bankrupt in a month! ;)

It is amazing the different tones that can be found in various woods. The best tone I've found in dulcimers has a black walnut back/sides and a sassafras top. Too bad it belongs to my niece.
Susanne
Site Admin

Walnut is gorgeous for instruments - but now I talk about the appearance, not the sound because I have only experience of rosewood, mahogany and spruce (as far as I know). My concertina but their more premium variant comes in some walnut, truly looks lovely. There are lots of experimental tonewoods for guitars, used by some builders, Lowden in Northern Ireland uses a lot of less common woods. It would be interesting to visit them sometime although the guitars are quite a bit outside my budget.
Judy K

Sassafras isn't a common choice for a sound board but it does give a sweet tone. Native to North America and eastern Asia.

My dulcimers have a mixed bag of woods - mahogany, cherry, spalted maple, spruce, western red cedar, walnut .... I've forgotten some. (13 dulcimers reside here)

Return to “Share your music!”