Susanne
Site Admin

Long time no see

Hi everyone!

How are you? I hope you're enjoying the summer and making as much music as possible.
We went to Donegal this past weekend for a bluegrass festival and had a fantastic time! It was the best bluegrass festival I've been to. Since bluegrass is a style where a lot of the audience are also musicians, good festivals are those where a lot of jams are going on. At this festival, there was a concert on Saturday night with three bands playing, and some sort of ending event with gigs on Sunday (followed by a big jam!) but otherwise it was all about jamming. We played music from lunchtime until 3 am, with a short break for food. Possibly the best weekend of my life so far, at least music-wise. We went back home with new friends and lots more inspiration and confidence.
jimwasson

Re: Long time no see

Sounds like lots of really good music! The opportunity of playing with others is a fine thing. I think that bluegrass and Irish music both encourage a fair bit of improvisation. (Likely true of most folk traditions.) Are you recovered from all that playing yet?

I am playing nearly every day, mostly on flute, as that is the instrument which suffers the most from lack of practice. Not playing out anywhere at this time, and likely will not as long as I'm caring for my Dad. As I understand it, the viral risk is compounded by the volume of air taken in when playing wind instruments.
Susanne
Site Admin

That is lovely that you keep the music flowing! I'm impressed with anyone who can play the flute, that is the one instrument I've never managed to get sound from. The closest I've had any ambitions with was the tin whistle, but I gave it up because I felt it would take so long before I could somehow use it in sessions, and I drooled so much when I played it! I'm happy enough now with the guitar and the concertina, and occasionally mandolin.

I don't see how Irish music would promote improvisation though! To me, at least in trad music, it's very "set" on certain ways of playing a tune, although there are some subtle variations of tunes.
jimwasson

Yes, when I looked into it, traditional Irish music embraces variations on tunes but not really improvising.

I hear you about the drool. It's usually a little less when playing flute as opposed to whistle, as there's nothing actually in the mouth. Still have to be careful, though, as it's possible to get some into the windpipe when inhaling, even while playing flute. (Coughing while trying to play usually doesn't go so well.) Saliva is actually helpful to a degree when playing the single reed instruments, as it's necessary to keep the reeds from drying out.

Return to “Mingle and chat”